Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running with a broken wrist

Running with a broken wrist

Has anyone any experience/advice on running with a broken wrist with lower arm in a cast?

Obviously my bat running is out for 4-6 weeks but is there any reason I can't run on the flat?

Cheers, Ali

Re: Running with a broken wris

What did the doctors say? I did the Oldham Half Marathon last year and Fleeters dad ran with a pot on his arm (with a plastic bag over it) and ran OK.

I would take some advice from your orthopod/fracture clinic. We all know people who have run with an upper limb fracture, but that doesn't mean its definately ok in every case. What is actually broken? How long have you been in a cast? have you had it re xrayed yet i.e. do you know whether it has started to heal?

Its the impact of running on a an early fracture site that I would be most worried about plus the slight risk of a fall while you are out. Could you do some work on a stationary bike in the mean time to keep up your CV fitness?

JLS
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

Quote Originally Posted by justlovestretching... View Post
    I would take some advice from your orthopod/fracture clinic. We all know people who have run with an upper limb fracture, but that doesn't mean its definately ok in every case. What is actually broken? How long have you been in a cast? have you had it re xrayed yet i.e. do you know whether it has started to heal?

Its the impact of running on a an early fracture site that I would be most worried about plus the slight risk of a fall while you are out. Could you do some work on a stationary bike in the mean time to keep up your CV fitness?

JLS
    Hi,

it's the distal radius that's fractured near the wrist. Had a temporary cast put on in Fort William A&E on Sunday then a 'proper' fibreglass one on yesterday in Blackpool.

The doc said I'd be ok as long as I didn't fall. Will set up my turbo trainer but find it a bit boring.

Thanks, Ali

My missus ran when she had a broken wrist, just not on any rough trails where there was likely to be a fall. After the first week it didn't hurt when she ran so she felt fine. We were doing easy snow climbs, where she could just use one axe, and she was OK.

Banned

It needs to settle and knit for about 10 days then you will ok as long as you don't fall on it.
    Surly you can turbo for 10 days.
    I hope it mends soon Ali

Stagger

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    It needs to settle and knit for about 10 days then you will ok as long as you don't fall on it.
    Surly you can turbo for 10 days.
    I would agree, if it were my wrist I'd want it to start to heal a bit before I got running again, sounds a little bit soon just yet.

Happy turbo-ing

JLS
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

hey ali....what did ya do? Are you resting? x

Hi Ali,

Are you having any physio? I've got a bruised ankle bone at the moment (not run since Mickleden Straddle - good Edale preparation!), and I'm having something like Pulsed Short Wave Treatment (I think). Apparently it's supposed to help healing of bones. Don't know if it would be of any use to you, though.

Get well soon. See you at Edale? (We can jog around together at the back!)

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    hey ali....what did ya do? Are you resting? x
    Hi Moo, slipped on a wet rock walking up to the Ben to go climbing on Sunday after the Carnethy race (cracking race btw). Clean break across the distal radius.

A real sickener, climbs looked in fantastic nick, we were 1st up there and had done all the slog of a walk to the North face. Aaaaaagh!!!!

Walked down in agony with it splinted with 2 Go bars (ate one at the hospital).

Resting? Sort of. For some reason the doc`s signed me off for 4 weeks

Off to Ingleton YH next week to walk round 3 peaks. Thinking about the Pennine Way the week after.

Hope you're good, Ali