Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Talon v Mudclaw

X-Talon v Mudclaw

Thinking of getting some of the new Inov 8 X talons, or some Mudclaw 270's. Can anybody offer and opinion on which shoe offers the best grip? Cheers, WM
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Re: X-Talon v Mudclaw

Probably the Mudclaw, although I reckon it's fairly marginal. They're completely different shapes so I guess the more important question is which are more comfortable? I've got both and never really got on with the Mudclaw 270, but after a couple of breaking-in runs the Talons are great.

Right, cheers Dom, just needed someone who had both to shed the light and you are that someoneThink i will go for the Talons, just because i have heard there are issues on the last of the 270's as well.
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Probably the Mudclaw, although I reckon it's fairly marginal. They're completely different shapes so I guess the more important question is which are more comfortable? I've got both and never really got on with the Mudclaw 270, but after a couple of breaking-in runs the Talons are great.
    Dom, what are the talons like for managing the bumps and scrapes of the fells. I was looking at them tonight in sweatshop and they seemed abit fragile. They are very lightweight though are ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Dom, what are the talons like for managing the bumps and scrapes of the fells. I was looking at them tonight in sweatshop and they seemed abit fragile. They are very lightweight though are ideal.
    Early days to tell, although I don't reckon they'll be anymore fragile than the Mudclaws, which did seem to have a bit of a reputation for splitting. I seem to be fairly easy going on shoes generally, so I'm probably the wrong person to answer that.

I have both and I abuse shoes... I LOVE the Talons, they are the best when it comes to grip on almost everything, but when it comes to deep mud or wet grass on steep inclines, the Claws beat the Talons...

Also, the Talons are not as durable as the Claws. Mind you, I have run some long races on them and done a few long days on the fells and was wearing them for the OMM as well, while they are advertised as being for short stuff.

The fact that they are lightweight and have a very flexible, thin sole means you are very much in contact with the ground underneath, but does mean you can bruise the sole of your foot if you land on some sharp rock.

My Talons are starting to fall apart and show distinct signs of wear and tear after just over 100 miles... my Claws are still going strong after about 200 miles...

Oh, the heelcup of the Mudclaw 270 is really shallow, which does not suite everyone...

i wore my new mudclaw 270's for the tour of pendle on Saturday and did not slip over once.
    mind you I was not going as fast as everyone else so that could be a factor!!
    would agree the heel is a bit low but I have 330's as well that have the same awesome grip but a bit more substantial

both have there uses and are great shoes,been racing in the talons for the last 6 races all of varying distances and terrains,i think the mudclaws are great on longer more rugged races but if you have a shorter grassy race the talons are the dogs,tried the talons on some rockier races and although good,dont give me the same confidence as mudclaws,so svae up and get both

I got some 330s. I am a short hefty webfooted peat bog blocker and they are perfect. Was tempted by the 270s but didn't like the lacing or the fact I thought they were a bit narrow for my ex-rugby playing feet.