Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dalesway

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

Re: dalesway

i remember racing against dennis in the 80s,i was racing every week and so was he.

i would be intrested to know what criteria is in place,for example support and feeding.
    all in one day seems achieveable,subject to a good recce.
    i picked up a route guide by gemmel and speakman with link paths and associated walks which seems quite good.

i once came across a chap on hadrians wall section of the pennine way,i ran along with him but only at a distance as he said he was attempting a solo attempt which meant no assistance!he then proceeded to tell me that he had not spoken to his wife for 3 days and he thought she might be worried(this was before mobile phones)
    i dont think i want to take it to that extreme,although not speaking to the wife for 3 days,hmmm there is a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    i would be intrested to know what criteria is in place,for example support and feeding.
    Dylan, I'd be surprised if there is anything down by way of rules.

Mountain Man, have you heard of anything?

Make your own, let us know what criteria you set yourself, and let us know how you get on.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator

For the last 4years I've been saying I'm going to catch the #74 bus up to Buckden and have a steady run back home back to Addingham - maybe next year
    Poacher turned game-keeper

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

going to start recce in new year then decide if its a there and back,or just one way.the link routes from either leeds or shipley also look feasible.
    thanks for the feed back,much appreciated

Resurrecting an old thread that came up when i searched ...

As far as i can see, in 1989 Mike Hartley set a record for the Dales Way (Bowness-Ilkey or vice versa) with a time of 13:34 which was then bettered later that year by Denis Beresford in 12 hours 44. http://www.claytonlemoors.org.uk/wp-...etter-2014.pdf

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread that came up when i searched ...

As far as i can see, in 1989 Mike Hartley set a record for the Dales Way (Bowness-Ilkey or vice versa) with a time of 13:34 which was then bettered later that year by Denis Beresford in 12 hours 44. http://www.claytonlemoors.org.uk/wp-...etter-2014.pdf

Ben
    Dennis Beresford set the original record about '83 - '84 ..... I think that it was sub 14 hours.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Mike Hartley went in the Bowness to Ilkley direction when he ran his 13:34 in March 1989. There is a report of it in The Fell Runner, Jun 1989, p32, under the title "What a Buster" (https://fellrunner.org.uk/fellrunner/1989_June.pdf).

Mike was a great runner and could undoubtedly have gone much faster if the Dales Way had been his main aim but it was mostly a training run for his Pennine Way attempt and he lost a lot of time with navigation and other issues.

Dennis Beresford was good as well of course and he easily beat Mike's Dales Way time only a couple of months later (14 May 1989), regaining the record with his 12:44. I don't know much more about that run but as far as I know, it is still the fastest time for the Dales Way. Dennis also set a record for a triple round of the Three Peaks (13:16 in 1978).

Quote Originally Posted by Rombald View Post
    Mike Hartley went in the Bowness to Ilkley direction when he ran his 13:34 in March 1989. There is a report of it in The Fell Runner, Jun 1989, p32, under the title "What a Buster" (https://fellrunner.org.uk/fellrunner/1989_June.pdf).

Mike was a great runner and could undoubtedly have gone much faster if the Dales Way had been his main aim but it was mostly a training run for his Pennine Way attempt and he lost a lot of time with navigation and other issues.

Dennis Beresford was good as well of course and he easily beat Mike's Dales Way time only a couple of months later (14 May 1989), regaining the record with his 12:44. I don't know much more about that run but as far as I know, it is still the fastest time for the Dales Way. Dennis also set a record for a triple round of the Three Peaks (13:16 in 1978).
    Thanks Rombald - great info. It makes you realise how we now have this vast amount of information nowadays - both raw data and narrative reports/blogs - probably too much if you consider the quality of some of the information put out there, whereas in those days it was a combination of word of mouth, results and the occasional report in a club magazine or the FRA magazine.

A triple round of the three peaks?! Impressive, but I can't say I'm tempted!

See Rombald's post #4 on this thread:- https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...?5932-dalesway

I can remember a write up of this achievement in an A5 edition of the FRM - think it was January 1984

IIRC Dennis only took on liquids from Ilkley to Dent and suffered for it.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 17-06-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks. Yes, I was aware of his record from 1983/4. As I understand it, in 1989 Mike Hartley lowered Denis’s time and then Denis promptly reclaimed it at 12 hours 44. I haven’t found anything to suggest anyone has gone quicker; at least if they have done they have kept it under their hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    See Rombald's post #4 on this thread:- https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...?5932-dalesway

I can remember a write up of this achievement in an A5 edition of the FRM - think it was January 1984

IIRC Dennis only took on liquids from Ilkley to Dent and suffered for it.