Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dalesway

There is a one off race down the DalesWay on 17/18th August this year, to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of it. I'm in it and quite a few other fell runners. I saw Mr Punk Panther who's organising it and he says there are still places available. Bus from Ilkley to Boness for the start.

As Derby Tup said in 2008
    "For the last 4years I've been saying I'm going to catch the #74 bus up to Buckden and have a steady run back home back to Addingham - maybe next year"

I'm going to do that tomorrow as training. This will probably be the bit we do in the dark.
    Last edited by MattPo; 19-07-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Super Moderator
    Matt, we finally got round to doing the 74 bus last summer training for the Afoot in Two Dales LDWA event, albeit walking. The Dales Way is fantastic. Hope you and others doing it have a good race

The Dalesway always seems a bit flat and ......

There is a newish Dales Highway Route. Looks much more Fell runnerish!

https://www.daleshighway.co.uk/index.htm

Yes, it was flatish, but lovely scenery all the same. The bit after Kettlewell where you go onto the valley side is great, with views down to Kilnsey and then there is Barden moor in front. Bit of a slow journey by bus from Otley to Buckden, but saves the planet. Good feeding on the way, Full English in Kettlewell and cakes at the Cavendish pavillion. Glad to get to Ilkley in time for a sly pint before being collected by my wife. A good day out.

Super Moderator
    That higher level section south of Kettlewell has long been a favourite of mine too

A grand day out, and by day I mean 23 1/2 hours for me. Good to meet Ben Shep. The killer cow herd on Grassington moor were interesting to meet running solo in the dark.

Master
    Well done Matt
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    A grand day out, and by day I mean 23 1/2 hours for me. Good to meet Ben Shep. The killer cow herd on Grassington moor were interesting to meet running solo in the dark.
    Well done Matt, glad you got it finished, and good to meet you. Tough old run. Those cows with their reflective eyes were scary. If i hadn't already been moving at walking pace i would definitely have slowed to a walk to get around or through that herd! 17 hours 45 for me. Tougher than i expected - I think it was the sodden underfoot conditions that nearly did for me. Thank goodness for the medics at Gearstones who repaired and taped up my feet for me, and thank goodness I had dry socks for some (temporary) relief! I'm just now getting to the stage where I'm saying I enjoyed it (I wasn't thinking that at the time).