Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Training

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weight Training

I know this topic has been covered before, but I want to come at it from a new angle. As a very strong fit man, weighing in at around 13.5 stone, I know I am an excellent uphill runner, and I'm a fast flat runner too. I believe in all over body conditioning, the more muscle the better. I work from the Weider system and take protein supplements + creatine. I know that the heavier you are the more momentum you carry = faster overall race time. This never seems to be covered on the forum! I am 2-3 stone heavier than I was, and faster, due to simple physics.
    Momentum= Mass x Velocity
    Last edited by #bob#; 18-11-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: science equation

Re: Weight Training

An interesting point here. I think it is alot more complicated than that and more to do with power to weight ratio with a large slice of effeciency built in. If it where as simple as momentum = mass X acceleration then surely you would have seen the largest change in you descenting. Muscle fibre type may have a alot to do with the propensity to gain mass through weight training.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #bob# View Post
    Surely this just means that as a heavier man, your more likely to crash into/through a stile at the bottom of a hill? Suppose it would beat that age old problem of stile queues: "INCOMING!!!!" [CRASH - sound of ten pin strike]

I've lost 3/4 -1st since July where I had an operation on my jaw and can't eat all the stuff I used to, but have increased my running.

I'm not interested in being a racing snake - especially as my race times are never as high as my frame might suggest they would be! - but overall body fitness.

I'm currently looking to increase my upper body training as well as getting on to a weight gaining diet (BEEEEFFFCAAAAKKKKEEEE!!).

I'm 6ft (+ that all important 1/2 inch!) and currently just under 11.5st. At my heaviest was just shy of 13st. But was on a massive training programme (for Marine selection) and have never been quicker, had more stamina, or been stronger.

By that logic, I might aim for 18st!! Bring on the mutton and Emmi's cakes!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Surely this just means that as a heavier man, your more likely to crash into/through a stile at the bottom of a hill? Suppose it would beat that age old problem of stile queues: "INCOMING!!!!" [CRASH - sound of ten pin strike]

I've lost 3/4 -1st since July where I had an operation on my jaw and can't eat all the stuff I used to, but have increased my running.

I'm not interested in being a racing snake - especially as my race times are never as high as my frame might suggest they would be! - but overall body fitness.

I'm currently looking to increase my upper body training as well as getting on to a weight gaining diet (BEEEEFFFCAAAAKKKKEEEE!!).

I'm 6ft (+ that all important 1/2 inch!) and currently just under 11.5st. At my heaviest was just shy of 13st. But was on a massive training programme (for Marine selection) and have never been quicker, had more stamina, or been stronger.

By that logic, I might aim for 18st!! Bring on the mutton and Emmi's cakes!!
    oh nooooo, not another maths related thread!

Anyway....my cakes are as light as a feather...although yes granted not exactly fat free!

I'm glad Bob's back. He's ace.

I work from the Weider system and take protein supplements + creatine.
    You would probably run faster if you were narrower rather than Weider.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harry H Howgill View Post
    you Would Probably Run Faster If You Were Narrower Rather Than Weider.
    :d:d:d
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I know this topic has been covered before, but I want to come at it from a new angle. As a very strong fit man, weighing in at around 13.5 stone, I know I am an excellent uphill runner, and I'm a fast flat runner too. I believe in all over body conditioning, the more muscle the better. I work from the Weider system and take protein supplements + creatine. I know that the heavier you are the more momentum you carry = faster overall race time. This never seems to be covered on the forum! I am 2-3 stone heavier than I was, and faster, due to simple physics.
    Ok....but....the more muscle you have, the harder your body is having to work to pump the blood round to the areas most in need.
    Therefore your going to fatigue faster. Also, when you do exercise generally no matter what your body build, the parts of your body that aren’t working over-time get temporarily forgotten about e.g. your kidneys. So if your carrying your large muscle mass round, your organs are getting over-deprived from the lack of oxygenated blood.
    Im going off memory here from my A-Level sport!

Is it not simpler to just pick up a big rock and run downhill with it to give you the momentum, and then simply drop it once you nolonger need it.

Just a bit of actual physics to dispel a few misconceptions.

1) Bob is correct, momentum does equal the product of mass and velocity. However he seems to confuse momentum with velocity.
    If you simply add mass to a moving body, then its velocity will actually reduce, in order for its momentum to be conserved.

2) Simply adding mass to a falling object will not increase its velocity! Simplistically (ignoring some other factors), objects in free fall accelerate at 9.81 ms-2. This is regardless of mass. However, in reality, air resistance comes into play. Therefore a scrunched up piece of paper would fall slower than a solid pellet of the same mass, due it having a higher surface area.

In the case of our fell runner, he is not quite free falling whilst running down a steep hill. We therefore need to consider his friction against the ground. The runner with the greater mass will indeed have the potential to generate a higher frictional force against the ground with each push off. However, he will also require a greater amount of energy to transport the extra mass in the horizontal plane.

In a short fell race, however the stronger you are the better you fare. Obviously I'm not talking about anything over, say, 4 miles as then you are into massive aerobic territory. Big lads/ladies can fare well in short races if they are muscled up. That's where the creatine/protein/steroids come in not that any of the latter are used.

Then you can kick ass big style. Massive strength up hill + Massive momentum down = Race win for the big lad.