Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turf Toe-1st MTP joint sprain

Turf Toe-1st MTP joint sprain

Any one had this or know anything of it, After my run yesterday I felt ok but last night i could Hardly walk

Going to see my physio soon, I hope it's nothing too bad

Re: Turf Toe-1st MTP joint spr

if you've increased your training volume you will be more prone to injury and niggles...are you shoes "dead" in terms of mid sole and fore foot ride? Have you changed your running style at all? may be a few days rest with ice/heat may help...physio is good idea!
    Run and become...

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEBIKE View Post
    if you've increased your training volume you will be more prone to injury and niggles...are you shoes "dead" in terms of mid sole and fore foot ride? Have you changed your running style at all? may be a few days rest with ice/heat may help...physio is good idea!
    Emailed and phoned Jeff Cole this morning, With a bit of luck he can get in on Friday or early next week.

Most, not all of my training is done on the hill not roads although a bit is. Going to get some new road shoes for training in but not alot you can do with fell shoes, I might try putting in a superfeet in my Wave harriers, they won't fit in my Mudclaws or Montrails. It's the same problem I mentioned in the PF thread a few days ago, but it was much worse last night.

It's strange in the fact it doesn't hurt whilst running after 5 minutes but later on really hurts bad. At this moment in time there is only the faintest twinge.

No bruise and no swelling just pain

I'm going to swim for the next two days in stead of run , Any thoughts on cycling?

Biking is a good x train - but swimming is a good way of using rest time off run training - u can always aqua run with floatation vest to give you bouancy whilst you run on spot - make sure pool is empty as you get funny looks - the lifeguard once came over to me to find out if I was having difficulty!
    Run and become...

I had a similar problem to turf toe, could have been turf toe? Ball of foot, joint of big toe is really sore, stiff and can even creak.

I found it similar to any other tendon irritations/aggravations. Hurts after excersice but once warmed up is okay for running. Once stopped it has got worse.

Only thing to get rid for me is easing back/resting, icing, self massage etc etc. Usual remedy for tendons.

Ian...you got it from descending too fast in the club champs!!

Get on the bike, cycle out to Edale and do 5 climbs up to Mam Nick and freewheel back down to rest between each one...that'll keep you fit whilst resting the injury. If you got some proper stiff soled cycle shoes that clip in it shouldn't hurt your toe as you can't bend your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    I had a similar problem to turf toe, could have been turf toe? Ball of foot, joint of big toe is really sore, stiff and can even creak.

I found it similar to any other tendon irritations/aggravations. Hurts after excersice but once warmed up is okay for running. Once stopped it has got worse.

Only thing to get rid for me is easing back/resting, icing, self massage etc etc. Usual remedy for tendons.
    Sounds just like it Tony, except the creaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Ian...you got it from descending too fast in the club champs!!

Get on the bike, cycle out to Edale and do 5 climbs up to Mam Nick and freewheel back down to rest between each one...that'll keep you fit whilst resting the injury. If you got some proper stiff soled cycle shoes that clip in it shouldn't hurt your toe as you can't bend your foot.

I don't have to go to Mam nick, there's plenty of hills around the strines

You got this under control yet Ian?

Physio tell you anything interesting about it? I ask as I had this (or something very similar) and always good to know if/when it rears its head again.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    You got this under control yet Ian?

Physio tell you anything interesting about it? I ask as I had this (or something very similar) and always good to know if/when it rears its head again.
    Hope so, I've rested it for a week, stayed off the hill intervals, although I can still feel it it isn't as bad. I've iced it and wore footbeds with arch support and wore my m-biking boots (very stiff with tread) to stop the foot flexing on yesterdays easy run.

There is a club race this week end, If it it still feels good I might try and run round in innovates.

Hows the grassytoe business Ian?

U reckon you will be ok for Tankys?

At least youve managed a few reasonable runs since incurring it!