Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft a week

Re: 10,000ft a week

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Ain't speedy but can keep plodding on, love the lakes, inspires me every time i'm there, plus good support and having a laugh with friends keeps you going through the rough times. emm will do it cos she's tough and she wants to
    be a while for me yet...too many cakes to bake first!!

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    be a while for me yet...too many cakes to bake first!!
    Don't have the cake problem, i'm a bloke and useless at baking
    Good at eating them though
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Don't have the cake problem, i'm a bloke and useless at baking
    Good at eating them though
    I know of at least one bloke that is a dab hand so fear not well, let me know and I'll prepare my finest for a moot hall collection

I know of at least one bloke that is a dab hand so fear not well, let me know and I'll prepare my finest for a moot hall collection
    Salivating already
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Let me now too DT. I'll be up for that.
    Yep I'll tag along for sure if thats cool. Anything long distance anyways

you definately need a benchmark and I would say it's stands to reason that climbing is essential for the round also in respect of time on your feet that is also something that is not so open ended! Standing up for 8 hours and moving not very far is by far different to covering many miles and lots of climbing in the same amount of time!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    It's all about pace not speed, just keep going and you'll do it. My first year of training I did too many Ultras and this left my legs tired as I'd run too much, Upped the mileage the year after but reduced the speed meant I was much stronger on the day.

And remember 10,000ft of climbing also means 10,000ft of descending and that is just as important
    I refer back to my post #74
    no 10,000ft weeks
    high paced training
    longest time on feet about 11 hours
    I felt sure he would suffer either re-fuelling probs, cramp (esp. on the downhills) or flag towards the end
    he was fine
    (I'm not saying he stotted round without breaking sweat, but he had no major problems)
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I refer back to my post #74
    no 10,000ft weeks
    high paced training
    longest time on feet about 11 hours
    I felt sure he would suffer either re-fuelling probs, cramp (esp. on the downhills) or flag towards the end
    he was fine
    (I'm not saying he stotted round without breaking sweat, but he had no major problems)
    11hours is a long time on your feet and anyone who is running 70-100mpw (presumably training twice a day) is going to be in good shape, as confirmed by his London pb. Presume your friend had someone show him round his BG?

Anyway, I'll stick to 10,000ft per week, with friends, in some of the finest countryside on planet, be it Lakes, Peak or Dales
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Care to share your findings with us aspirant BGers BLUEBIKE?
    For me....
    Run Training:
    1.endurance runs, hours and distance and working over time on pace. V important.
    2. Strength building - which could be gym based but more so time in hills..without the 10,000ft a week idea.
    3. Speed/Threshold - road or track based sessions, maybe a 10K or half marathon pace sessions, 1K reps, fartlek sessions etc etc all building speed and lactate threshold tolerance.
    4. Time on the actual hills...but I didn't recce it constantly..just lakeland time really.

Mentally:
    1. How much do you want to complete? Where's the focus?
    Thinking about anchor points that will keep me going when I hit a low point - these can be mental pictures, thoughts etc.
    2. rehearsing success and managing disappointment caused by factors that you can't manage...bad weather, injury etc.
    3. I carved the 22hrs into sections....hours or hill sections as it were...not focused on the whole run.
    4. Distraction - for when it feels shit! - what you gonna talk about etc

Support and Prep:
    1. Food and diet for the event - don't go for anything that you have not tried in training as a general principle. We all now this.
    2. Get it all sorted, labelled etc and boxed and sorted for ease on the day. Obvious.
    3. The people who support on the hill - BIG factor I think - they can and did hold me together at times.
    4. Get a mentor who you can talk to about it...keep it present but not an obsessive burden

Generally....you can be as fit as you can be BUT if your head ain't there....

You can't control the weather, trips and falls etc.

It'll still be there next month...

BUT....Let's get this thing done is a good mantra...

Worked for me (in the main!) but its a personal thing.
    Go run.
    Run and become...

Super Moderator

Many thanks for response BB!

I always think training for tough events is a very personal thing (what works for one runner might well be useless for another) but its useful to see other people's thoughts /ideas etc

Cheers

Andrew
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Some very interesting replies to this thread.

But I'm in full agreement with you DT, it totally depends on each individual.

I think you can all too easily get bogged down with how many feet and how many miles and how fast, but with the nature of the challenge being extended endurance, it will take most people different ways to achieve that level and a different length of time, because of each person's individual physical and mental 'make-up' if I can use such as word.

You can have all the training in the world, but as rightly pointed out by many in this thread, the biggest challenge is with yourself mentally, and thats the part most people don't 'train' up the most, and in my opinion, it should be trained the same as, if not more than the physical side for such a challenge.