Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft a week

Re: 10,000ft a week

I hope you don't mind me posting this DT but i am interested what route stevers took from yorkshire bridge on his win hill runs and whether it was a round etc. If your reading this stevers drop a post. Cheers matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I seem to remember somewhere on this thread (or maybe another) there was talk of squats with weights being a good gym exercise, especially for strengthening the descending muscles. That right? Anything else?

I'm trying to compensate a bit for lack of time in the hills this winter and get my legs in shape for some long days.
    You don't need weights to do squats mate, well it depends what you want, muscular endurance or brute strength?

Many reps of the normal squats should suffice for fell running I would say, but I'm no expert.

Hands on temples, feet shoulder width apart, bend legs to 90 degrees, back straight, head up....repeat.

Obviously using a weight bar with weights will increase strength and muscle size, but they will burn out quicker on a long run, I would suspect

Back on topic, been bagging around 10k foot now for the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by tri-mind View Post
    I hope you don't mind me posting this DT but i am interested what route stevers took from yorkshire bridge on his win hill runs and whether it was a round etc. If your reading this stevers drop a post. Cheers matt.

I know the answer to this as I was usually out with Steve...

generally straight up parkin clough. best to descend via the less steep track towards the dam every other rep until you get used to it. It's quite a hard session really. not that interesting but reasonably sheltered from bad weather, steep, near to sheffield and no navigational issues. You can just switch your head off and get on with it. BG pace for one rep is 34 minutes

I'm off there this evening!

Thanks Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Im hitting just short of 2500 But i dont have a big hill within running distance of my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Im hitting just short of 2500 But i dont have a big hill within running distance of my house!
    I know the feeling, it sucks. When I was living in Manchester, the closest thing to a hill when running from my house was a mound about 20ft, other than that, all I had was the trails along the Mersey.

I know the feeling, it sucks. When I was living in Manchester, the closest thing to a hill when running from my house was a mound about 20ft, other than that, all I had was the trails along the Mersey.
    I cant complain though. Ive got miles of footpaths within not far from my house which would be a hundred times better than living within a concrete mess like yourself.

It would have been nice ice the ice-age had dropped off winter hill, bowland and pendle a little closer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    I cant complain though. Ive got miles of footpaths within not far from my house which would be a hundred times better than living within a concrete mess like yourself.

It would have been nice ice the ice-age had dropped off winter hill, bowland and pendle a little closer though.
    Thats why I moved home, to be right next to Bowland fells and Pendle

You don't need weights to do squats mate, well it depends what you want, muscular endurance or brute strength?

Many reps of the normal squats should suffice for fell running I would say, but I'm no expert.

Hands on temples, feet shoulder width apart, bend legs to 90 degrees, back straight, head up....repeat.

Obviously using a weight bar with weights will increase strength and muscle size, but they will burn out quicker on a long run, I would suspect

to be honest, I'm finding normal squats too ... er, easy

all that british military fitness training has obviously done the trick!

I think adding a fairly low weight - i.e., just a weights bar - could really help endurance as long as you can still do long, multiple sets of reps.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    to be honest, I'm finding normal squats too ... er, easy

all that british military fitness training has obviously done the trick!

I think adding a fairly low weight - i.e., just a weights bar - could really help endurance as long as you can still do long, multiple sets of reps.
    Sounds like a good plan mate, increase the weight and try and aim for the same amount of reps