Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft a week

Re: 10,000ft a week

Just enjoyed catching up on this lot. I'm looking at a go at PBR in 2011. I have a question that someone hinted at earlier in the thread. - What are the most popular months to attempt & why? - Cheers in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    Just enjoyed catching up on this lot. I'm looking at a go at PBR in 2011. I have a question that someone hinted at earlier in the thread. - What are the most popular months to attempt & why? - Cheers in advance.
    I always thought it was to get as much possible light and in the hope of getting a best of the weather - usually june by the sounds of things!

June/July could be hot (More likely stair-rods) but could be hot. I've run an Ultra in the heat last July, got round but suffered a bit, I was thinking late August, granted I'd lose an hour or so of daylight but I'm wondering if the trade would be worth it - if per chance I was to land on an early Autumn cool day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    June/July could be hot (More likely stair-rods) but could be hot. I've run an Ultra in the heat last July, got round but suffered a bit, I was thinking late August, granted I'd lose an hour or so of daylight but I'm wondering if the trade would be worth it - if per chance I was to land on an early Autumn cool day.
    If you know the route I don't think thats too late. I did my Paddy in the middle of August, it was dark about 8:30-9, but then was light 5ish. So I did all the snowdon leg and to Bwlch Tryfan from dusk > dawn. Cost me a bit of time, but not enough to be significant.

I reckon May is good, but many people lose fitness over winter and need a good few months to get going.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    If you know the route I don't think thats too late. I did my Paddy in the middle of August, it was dark about 8:30-9, but then was light 5ish. So I did all the snowdon leg and to Bwlch Tryfan from dusk > dawn. Cost me a bit of time, but not enough to be significant.

I reckon May is good, but many people lose fitness over winter and need a good few months to get going.
    Iain - that's exactly my thinking - May would be too early in the year for me - Would prefer to scout it out through the summer months and run it in slightly cooler weather. I'm giving this 10,000 ft a week notion some thought also.

I'm very interested in how you guys make up your 10000ft. Do you do several hill rep sessions over a week, a couple of big sessions in the fells, or some combination thereof? Getting, say 5000ft of ascent into a hill rep session seems horrendous!

Living in Snowdonia 10,000ft is pretty straight forwards. A long run at the weekend will easily be 3000ft, hill reps are 1500ft, a few mid week hill runs will be 2000ft each, then a few road runs normally have ~1000ft each, and before you know it you are at 10k without really planning to.

Sounds like the perfect solution, don't think I can move to Snowdonia any time soon unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I'm very interested in how you guys make up your 10000ft. Do you do several hill rep sessions over a week, a couple of big sessions in the fells, or some combination thereof? Getting, say 5000ft of ascent into a hill rep session seems horrendous!
    whilst I'm sure it's sage advice, I don't think the 10,000ft / week is like a necessary rule

people who don't live near hills (like me) won't get this amount in every week, or even most weeks

but I've been encouraged by messages from people who've managed to focus their training differently: long weekends of progressively bigger days in the hills building up to the attempt for instance.

what matters to me is whether I can do, say, a 45-mile 18,000ft day, or the Fellsman, in a reasonable time - if I can then I'd hope the BG was within reach.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 29-01-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Master

Ive done about 1500ft in about 20 miles of running since monday.......no chance of me ultra running this year
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before