Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft a week

Re: 10,000ft a week

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I used my Garmin downloaded through Sports tracks, sometimes Anquet, sometimes maps, sometimes a standard suunto altimeter watch.
    Thanks Ian, downloaded my garmin through Motion Based after the Tour of Pendle and it came up roughly the same as the race stated.
    Hills and Guinness!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Thanks Ian, downloaded my garmin through Motion Based after the Tour of Pendle and it came up roughly the same as the race stated.
    So what was the point Merry

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    So what was the point Merry
    For how long before a BG, but i suppose the longer the better.
    I'll get back to me stairs daz
    Hills and Guinness!

Banned

Steps up Scammonden dam wall or grass bank Merry.
    Drop me a PM and I will show you sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Steps up Scammonden dam wall or grass bank Merry.
    Drop me a PM and I will show you sometime.
    Yes, yes, forgot about them, been up before, will have to re-aquaint myself with burning calves
    Cheers mate
    Hills and Guinness!

How about up to Stoodley Pike and back from the valley floor? Or anything similar in the area really.

The lane past our house drops 50m to the beck (and another 40m to the top of the lane, all in about half a Km) so a few reps gets the ascent in quite quickly.

The only problem with the climbs in the Pennines is that they are quite short compared to many in the Lakes. Leg 1 of the BG has just three climbs and descents totalling 1600m both up and down.

Super Moderator

Merry, how far are you from Stoodley Pike? There's some good climbing there and it'd be better than and more 'organic' than hill climbing reps on steps or a reser dam wall

I keep thinking about the lad Swiss Toni helped round last summer who did his training in a tower block in London. If he could do it it ought to be relatively easy for us with Pennine hills on the doorstep. I was driving over to Harrogate for a party on Saturday night and said to a friend that if I'm to do the BGR then the hills around Addingham and Bolton Abbey area where I live will have to become my friends
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Did a few runs over to Stoodley Pike from home and plenty of climb when i got there, as training for the Duddon, worked well, but as Bob says, the climbs are'nt as long as the Lakes, be nice to have Little Stand on the doorstep.
    Hills and Guinness!

I've a friend who used to do the following as a training run: Run from Torver up Coniston Old Man, down the quarry track to Low Water, round the back of this then up the headwall to the ridge; along the ridge for a hundred metres or so then down to the level of Low Water; move along another hundred metres and back up to the ridge. He'd continue until he came to Prison Band! Then run back via Dow Crag. Some interval training!!

Master

i'd advise climb as much as you can whether it be 100 foot reps or a gruelling 2700 up Pen yr olewen! I did no where near 10000 a week every week before I did BGR. I gradually built it up during the winter before but only got to the proper mountains once a month between Dec and April when I got there more frequently. For me the secret of success though compared with my failure the year before was to do hill rather than distance. So, even when I couldnt get to Wales or lakes I,d rep hils locally to Nottingham even if I was only do 2 or 3 thousand feet in a session once or twice a week. I'd always run them (which you dont tend to do on a BGR) as I treated reps as power sessions. by the time it got to April I found going to the Lakes once a fortnight added that bit extra and I'd probably get 12 or 13000 feet done in a day.For me you do what you can given where you live, and I think its better to do 2 hours of repping up and down a local steep hill than 18 miles out along the canal. For those living in the Pennines there is no excuse!