Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft a week

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    My concern is the type of climbing. Doing loads of reps, so getting the height in but I don't think it is steep enough. Especially true on the descents.
    Dr Pat, panic ye not. Keep on keeping on. The real training starts in February, not October. Think of what you're doing now as conditioning or training to get fit to train specifically for what you're targeting
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Dr Pat, panic ye not. Keep on keeping on. The real training starts in February, not October. Think of what you're doing now as conditioning or training to get fit to train specifically for what you're targeting
    I've not got close to the BG yet. Done a bit on the route. But I've trained for, and completed long events culminating in WHW Race last year. I completely recognise the sense in everything DT is saying. its easy to panic three months before. Back-to-backs...hills...hills...distance and hills. but as and when...as DT says, its definitely best not to fixate too much...Keep on keeping on!! Great advice DT! IMO
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I completely recognise the sense in everything DT is saying.
    Ditto here! I am probably doing more than enough this long before a late spring /early summer attempt.

Over in Hayfield tonight and done a couple reps of Sandy Heys, its a tough bugger!
    http://www.strava.com/activities/222857744

compared to my prep you are well ahead of the curve.
    I started on Christmas Day and did the BG on 30th May
    Built up time and distance in the hills locally and then frequest recce trips to the Lakes in March, April, early May

I find any hill road in the evenings after work and fell at weekends seems to work.Watching my ascents on Strava build up which is encouraging

Training for my BG 10 years ago I made lots of use of a leg press machine at a local gym with lots of reps. I now much prefer deep air squats using body weight only, or 5kg dumbbells. What have folks without hills on their doorstep been doing during lockdown? I have used an 18" box for step ups and targeting 3,000m per week - that's a lot of steps!

Fairplay! That’s a lot of steps! Well having decided to aim for a 2021 attempt I’ve managed to aggregate my hamstring tendonopathy! So hitting the weighted squats and deadlifts in the hope that it will settle before a trip to the lakes in a couple of weeks!

During lockdown i've still been aiming at 10,000ft/week on home treadmill. As for strength work, it has by necessity been bodyweight squats only... which i guess is not strength work at all.. just a bit of conditioning.

The strength/conditioning work has been the main issue... looking forward to gyms opening so can get a full range of leg work in (weighted squats/leg press/hamstrings/hip thrusts).
    Last edited by Travs; 27-06-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    During lockdown i've still been aiming at 10,000ft/week on home treadmill. As for strength work, it has by necessity been bodyweight squats only... which i guess is not strength work at all.. just a bit of conditioning.

The strength/conditioning work has been the main issue... looking forward to gyms opening so can get a full range of leg work in (weighted squats/leg press/hamstrings/hip thrusts).

Where there`s a will there`s way

https://gotimetraining.com/improvise...ilitary-style/

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-perfo...-gym-equipment

Plenty more ideas if you look and use your imagination

Have fun
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Where there`s a will there`s way

https://gotimetraining.com/improvise...ilitary-style/

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-perfo...-gym-equipment

Plenty more ideas if you look and use your imagination

Have fun
    Thanks,

Yes... Although I am well acquainted with the multitude of ways to train strength away from the traditional gym, I must admit it's a fault of mine that I never use them, and prefer to stick to traditional gym work where possible.

My theory was to just make best use of the lockdown and the facilities easily to hand... which basically entailed ramping up the miles and trying to build a really strong base, with a little bit of endurance work. As the above obviously includes plenty of hills anyway, I thought i'd concentrate on the pure strength work when the gyms re-open!