Page 2961 of 2964 FirstFirst ... 1961246128612911295129592960296129622963 ... LastLast
Results 29,601 to 29,610 of 29639

Thread: Quiet Around Here

I have tested the water on the Parkrun stage only because you have to run with U11's - I will also be on the XC stage in the morning but only in a recce role!

It's definitely quiet around here at the moment. Has the art of talking bollox around set subjects left us?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm currently on holiday, fighting wifi and the like, which explains a lack of cycling bollox of late. Not sure what's happened to the other serial offenders, however, but at least I can remember my password
    Presumably because yours is campagnolo.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

It is quiet Noel. Maybe we are exhausted, bludgeoned, cowed and finally too wary to voice an opinion, state a view or just peep above the parapet? Does evolution of soshul meedya mean we cant have fun anymore??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

But if you want to launch a bollox thread, be my guest!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

We used to have gravy, back in the good old days....
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

...and Magnetic Variation.

Not having used a compass in anger for 2/3 years, when MV was virtually nil in the far west, I am going to hone my skills with a few trips to Kinder/Bleaklow.

Have folk started adding a degree yet?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Maybe we are exhausted, bludgeoned, cowed and finally too wary to voice an opinion, state a view or just peep above the parapet? Does evolution of soshul meedya mean we cant have fun anymore??
    Nail-on-head, Wheeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    ...and Magnetic Variation.
    Have folk started adding a degree yet?
    A degree? I only ever worked to N-S-E-W and the four bisections between them. On orienteering races when in headless chicken floundering mode with brain even more cabbage-like than usual, my chosen heading could just as easily be 180 degrees out. Accuracy to within a degree is an abstract concept in my case (cue Noel with a suggestion for a gastronomic delight involving chicken, flounders and now cabbages ).

Oh, and compass bubbles? I suffered the same problem more than once. Perhaps I wear them out, or could it be osmosis? Are flounders salty like capers? If not, it must just be the salty sweat from my heaving, struggling carcass.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    A degree? I only ever worked to N-S-E-W and the four bisections between them. On orienteering races when in headless chicken floundering mode with brain even more cabbage-like than usual, my chosen heading could just as easily be 180 degrees out. Accuracy to within a degree is an abstract concept in my case (cue Noel with a suggestion for a gastronomic delight involving chicken, flounders and now cabbages ).

Oh, and compass bubbles? I suffered the same problem more than once. Perhaps I wear them out, or could it be osmosis? Are flounders salty like capers? If not, it must just be the salty sweat from my heaving, struggling carcass.

I've never bothered with magnetic variation ever.... even on the LDMT (i hope Ian Winterburn is not reading this!)

I'm obviously no navigational expert, but i've always thought being able to interpret themap and keep track of where on it you are, are main skills to learn. Then taking a bearing, using handrails, aiming off, all in the next lot to be learned. Finally, using slope-angle to relocate yourself.

Experts like ba-ba will no doubt read the above in a state of shock... but i think that lot gives the skills to look after yourself 95% of the time.