Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Permissive Paths not on maps

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I really don't understand this, I would have have thought the fact that it is a right of way or not would be irrelevant to the decision to allow a race over the top of the hill. Environmental considerations would be of much highter importance
    Absolutely Pat. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Darwen Moor but there aren't any issues involved in a small race passing over once a year when there are currently walkers, runners, mountain bikers and even quad bikes at times.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    not sure if you are familiar with Darwen Moor .
    Darwen Tower area? If so, I went over it on the Red Rose 50 back in September, by far the most enjoyable part of the event.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Darwen Tower area? If so, I went over it on the Red Rose 50 back in September, by far the most enjoyable part of the event.
    yes, the area from Tower to Cadshaws would form part of the return section of my route but the other way to which you went in the RR50.

The moor has a lot of clear, established tracks and the races up there take place mostly on them. I'm not sure if they all apply for a UU permit but the process certainly got more onerous in the few years I was hosting up there.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Government Website advice

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    yes, the area from Tower to Cadshaws would form part of the return section of my route but the other way to which you went in the RR50.

The moor has a lot of clear, established tracks and the races up there take place mostly on them. I'm not sure if they all apply for a UU permit but the process certainly got more onerous in the few years I was hosting up there.
    Advice on Government Website
    THE 20 YEAR RULE WOULD PROBABLY GIVE SOME REASSURANCE
    You have the right to access some land for walking or certain other leisure activities.
    You can:
    use public roads and pavements or public rights of way, for example footpaths or bridleways
    use your right to roam on open access land including mountains, moors, heaths, downs, common land and some land around the England Coast Path
    If neither of these apply, you may still be able to access private land if:
    the land was used as a public right of way in the past - check old maps and documents
    the land was accessed by the public for at least 20 years and nobody has asked them to stop
    the landowner has given permission (‘permissive access’)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Part of West Pennines SSSI ''severly disadvantaged area, unfavourable, recovering''. Even if UU had said yes, NE would be required to say no because of the state of the SSSI. Comes back to organised events, we are an easy target to stop.
    Still comes back to 'organised events'being an easy target to stop using the CRoW Act. Events may have taken place without the landowner knowing, until afterwards, making it even harder to get permissions in the future.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's so irritating when ROWs are marked in the wrong place or hedges have been cut down. It gets really quite hard to follow them sometimes!

I can't run at the moment as I've got a cold, so thinking about running is the next best thing

I'm still hanging on, hoping that someone'll join in and point out another one I don't know about! If there was some enthusiasm shown I'd mark them on a map or something on a website.

Hi Joe,
    Would be great to have them marked up on a map. Did you get around to it or put them on the open street maps?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by asutton709 View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Would be great to have them marked up on a map. Did you get around to it or put them on the open street maps?
    cheers
    I didn't - but I accidentally stumbled on this thread when searching for concession paths as I've just found a new local one I never knew existed! It goes along the ridge between Sponds Hill and Shining Tor - from Charles Head south. That path *is* on Open Street Map.