Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Permissive Paths not on maps

Re: Permissive Paths not on ma

More paths I'd forgotten about - making 25 so far for SW peak:

Goyt Valley: Fernilee Reservoir Path
    SK017758 - SK014777
    Disused railway all along east side of reservoir, up to the car park at the S end.

Goyt Valley: Below Errwood Reservoir Dam
    SK014759 - SK016759
    Path under the dam, joining the ROW to the Fernilee Reservoir Path.

Goyt Valley: Pym Chair - Windgather Rocks
    SJ995771 - SJ995780
    Path alongside the road, joining together the two ROWs.

Another eight:

Gradbach Hill
    SK004649 - SJ994655
    Waymarked Path through Access Land, then drops to join ROW (access land doesn't quite join up with ROW)

Lyme Park - Entrance at Moorside
    SJ956807 - SJ954806
    You can carry on along the track past the end of the ROW and get into the park.
    There also used to be a path up the side of the park from here to SJ961804 but it's no longer officially open.

Dale Top
    SJ961804 - SJ956799
    Path up through the quarry, climbs over a stile and along Dale Top to the ROW. Appears to be unofficially allowed.

Macc Forest - Roadside Path
    SJ977714 - SJ971713 then SJ972714 - SJ963710
    Down S side of road, cross over to join ROW short way, then follow track on map down to road, cross over again for final section.

Macc Forest - North Forest Path
    SJ962726 - SJ958717
    Follows track on map to join ROW to the road.

Macc Forest
    There is an old muddy forest road and a very new forest road below Nessit Hill. There was some signs about them being only for Mountain Bikes though.

Hollins Hill - Access from the south
    SK063668? - SK058679?
    A waymarked path. Not done this yet, just read about it online (so not 100% sure where it goes)

Wildboarclough - Chest Hollow Access Point
    SJ991720
    The permissive path runs near the access land but never that close, but they've put in an access gate :-)

The problem I find is that I see a path that I think I should be on - because there is only one shown on the map... Off I trundle and then find myself in the wrong place

Maybe I need to go on an FRA navigation course

You have been a busy boy. Maybe you should ask the FRA for a grant for doing all this good work you're doing....
    He's big and he's good.

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    The problem I find is that I see a path that I think I should be on - because there is only one shown on the map... Off I trundle and then find myself in the wrong place
    It's so irritating when ROWs are marked in the wrong place or hedges have been cut down. It gets really quite hard to follow them sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Big Fella View Post
    You have been a busy boy. Maybe you should ask the FRA for a grant for doing all this good work you're doing....
    I can't run at the moment as I've got a cold, so thinking about running is the next best thing

I'm still hanging on, hoping that someone'll join in and point out another one I don't know about! If there was some enthusiasm shown I'd mark them on a map or something on a website.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's so irritating when ROWs are marked in the wrong place or hedges have been cut down. It gets really quite hard to follow them sometimes!
    The green dashed lines (or red on 1:50000) show the right of way, the black dashed lines show where a path (not necessarily a right of way) is on the ground. Sometimes these coincide, sometimes they don't.

A path doesn't imply a right of way, and a right of way doesn't imply a path.

It was ever thus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph Hooker View Post
    A path doesn't imply a right of way, and a right of way doesn't imply a path.

It was ever thus.
    On the fells that's accepted, but through farmer's fields it's a complete farce when the Right of Way on the map doesn't match up to the stiles and footpath signs. (There's rarely a path on the ground, or black dotted lines on the map).

At the start of the Roaches race the ROW is shown on the wrong side of the hedge, which confused me when I did a recee! There's one SE of Kettleshulme that goes on the wrong side of a stream which had me completely flumoxed for a while, as the ROW as shown went over a barbed wire fence into someone's garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Big Fella View Post

Perhaps OS maps are too expensive to be re-surveyed every few years? How long is it between OS maps being updated?
    I heard that the last time the OS 1:25s were updated was in the 70s or something?! And that the only maps that are relatively up to date were drawn for races and the like.

Surely it's up to the local authority to put the ROWs on the map, not the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    I heard that the last time the OS 1:25s were updated was in the 70s or something?! And that the only maps that are relatively up to date were drawn for races and the like.
    Some of it is being updated because the road I live on is on it, which was only built 8 years ago.

The website shows a bit by me that's never made sense comparing the OS map to the actual ground.