Page 191 of 202 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2012

Thread: The Masters Lounge

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I don't.
    I certainly try not to. Having said that, five old running mates and I have a long-standing tradition of exchanging gifts, often running kit, and then there are my partner and daughter to give to, and my partner always cooks something special, but as I do not eat meat, not expensive. Equally, I do not drink alcohol, which saves a lot.

Of late there has been a lot of talk about the risk of xmas being "ruined" - it is certainly not something I am the least bit concerned about, but I do understand that others have different traditions from me. But it does seem to be a celebration of excess and waste, and so much of what is bought just goes straight to landfill.

Again this year each family member is getting one present each for around £25 in a Secret Santa arrangement, we will then donate what we might otherwise have spent to local charities. Having said that we may well have an extended family meal on Christmas Day if circumstances permit.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master
    Christmas for me will be spent in Scotland celebrating the remoteness and quiet of the hills in winter.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I think christmas is the best example of conspicuous consumption existential in our society; and historically/archaeologically the collapse of a civilisation is always preceded by conspicuous consumption. I could cope with the collapse of the west just fine knowing that christmas was the cause.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Are you just a grumpy Bast*rd? What about celebrating the birth of the lovely baby Jesus? I enjoy it as an excuse to see my family and run in a diffrent part of the country.
    Celebrate the fact that you can go for a long run on Christmas day and all the morons are pissed at home.

Last Christmas we walked to the pub, had a pint with all village friends, came home and got some burgers out of the freezer, lit the bonfire in the garden and cooked over that.
    Just fine and dandy and didn't bring on the end of civilization.
    But maybe this year......
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Celebrate the fact that you can go for a long run on Christmas day and all the morons are pissed at home.
    By far and away the best bit of xmas day.

Well, we've missed last orders for Mark's and Spencer Christmas dinner. So if anyone wants Christmas scoff here, I'll need someone to offer a Turkey. Plus we need volunteers for doorman now that Stagger is gone.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Are you just a grumpy Bast*rd? What about celebrating the birth of the lovely baby Jesus? I enjoy it as an excuse to see my family and run in a diffrent part of the country.
    My tradition has been for a long run on Boxing Day. But for several years, between moving to Loughborough and meeting my wife, I also developed a tradition of long cycle rides on 23/24th December. With parents in Leigh-on-Sea and a sister near St Neots, it was 70-75 miles (depending on route) on 23rd, a night at my sister's place, then around 80 miles on 24th (although occasionally I used train assistance to reduce that day's mileage, depending on weather (especially wind direction) and how unfit I felt). Runs from Leigh-on-Sea would often go around the Hadleigh Castle area, used for the London2012 mountain biking and before that for a race advertised on this forum: https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...light=hadleigh
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

The supermarkets have got some reasonable Christmas party crap in at the moment which also happens to be protein rich. Waitrose have Thai marinade tiger prawns in a breadcrumb coating, I almost got them for breakfast until I spotted some reduced honey roasted ham which made a great sarnie with the organic bread from the health food shop.