Thread: IT Security

IT Security

I know this is a bit random, but does anyone know how to get into a career in IT Security? I have an NVQ 2 in IT but would like to know which courses to take etc...

Thanks
    ...you should be running!!

undercover moderator

Re: IT Security

Quote Originally Posted by BrooownAle
    a career in IT Security?
    I tried, but I couldn't hack it.

Ok ok, I'm going.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooownAle View Post
    I know this is a bit random, but does anyone know how to get into a career in IT Security? I have an NVQ 2 in IT but would like to know which courses to take etc...
    Don't ask me. I thought IT was an evening meal.

Not sure what level the NVQ 2 is at, but check out the Microsoft website for details. You need to look at MCP, MCSA and MCSE level qualifications initially, as they are the most popularly recognised in the industry. You also ought to check out the CompTIA Security+ exam which is accepted as a substitute for one of the exams for the above paths.
    Unfortunately, as a recruiter of desktop support and help desk staff, I can honestly say that it is very much a 'buyers market' - when I recruit, I get several agencies sending me piles of CVs. It's quite surprising how qualified some of these people are just looking to take entry level positions, at quite low salaries!
    I personally am more interested in experience than certifications when considering applications, but the more advanced exams do prove that you know your stuff - especially as I DO ask technical questions which sift out the 'brain dumpers' from the real knowledge.
    By the way, Millipede, F Y I - I am NOT an IT geek!
    Good Luck BrooownAle - feel free to ask any further questions - I'm sure you'll get other people on here with advice for you too!
    You'll never Walk Alone!

I agree with NotIntaFells, experience is as bigger a factor in getting a job as certifications.
    I am taking the MCDST (desktop support) exams in March as I thought they would be easy(ish) after supporting XP for years and I would fit them in before my SQL 2005 courses, I have learnt a lot doing the revision and they are harder than I thought, so I personally feel there is a lot to be said for passing exams.

Might be worth looking at the different aspects of security - Operating System's, network infrastructure, VPN's...the list goes on and on!
    Cisco security might be worth looking at.(http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...aths_home.html)

Forgot to say, if you want to do courses we use Interquad for our training.

They look expensive on the site but I negotiated a reduction on the courses I took.
    I've had VB.NET & SQL Server 2005 training, using about 6 different instructors, each of which were consultants as well as trainers so they actually had real world examples and didn't teach straight from the book.

How much experience of being a real life geek have you got?