Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowland code!!!!!!!

Bowland code!!!!!!!

While out on the new fiensdale route, as we were descending the little bit of steep slope before the ascent of the shooting track, a gamekeeper on a quad biker was muttering something about bowland code of never descending on a 30% slope. Something about preventing erosion - this on a slope I have gone down countless times over the last 10 years and is bilberry covered and shows no signs of erosion!
    Also in open access area and on a day leaving moreless no footprints on the concrete ground at that time in the morning from a guy on a quad bike
    Problem there are countless parts of the fiensdale route that has the same steepness as the slope I was on. Descent to sheepfold as a good example

Re: Bowland code!!!!!!!

Do you reakon it will put you off going there again?

It was probably the new gamekeeper from Wolfen Hall - he was on about that section to me last year and has been putting more pheasant pens in up the shooting track so will not want you about -he told me he thought there would be no 'right to roam' in 10 years -so he is bonkers!I have never heard of any 'Bowland rule' -what they want back is the 'right to rule' Bowland and keep us out -like the Empire of the United Utilityban!
    I'm not a number I'm a free man

Pacman (Pete?) that descent to the sheepfolds was an issue for us on the 2007 UKA Fell Relays. Natural England would not let us use that line as an ascent because of 'delicate' ground water features. Hence why we put in an additional CP at the foot of the diagonal path up to Fiendsdale Head.
    Ian.

Fellhound

There's no code - like Number 6 says that bloke is bonkers.

Another Bowlander was challenged by him; the nutter got off his quad on this occasion and the Bowlander in question said it was lucky he'd parked it a distance away or he'd have had his spark plug caps off... I could just imagine him legging it, plug caps in hand, shouting see if you can catch me now, nutter..'

Weird how the historically poor access on Bowland still appears to be an issue. I guess some folk just can't change with the times. Ignore the weirdo!!
    Generally going nowhere fast.

surely a quad bike will do more damage than a fell runner or two???

I would have thought so too. Though some people's logic can be very weird. Sort of reminds me of one time I got bitten by a dog whilst out training and apparently it was my hat that caused the dog to bite me !!
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN View Post
    While out on the new fiensdale route, as we were descending the little bit of steep slope before the ascent of the shooting track, a gamekeeper on a quad biker was muttering something about bowland code of never descending on a 30% slope. Something about preventing erosion - this on a slope I have gone down countless times over the last 10 years and is bilberry covered and shows no signs of erosion!
    Also in open access area and on a day leaving moreless no footprints on the concrete ground at that time in the morning from a guy on a quad bike
    Problem there are countless parts of the fiensdale route that has the same steepness as the slope I was on. Descent to sheepfold as a good example
    remember when we were there, we passed a chap with a labrador, he had green wax jacket with flat cap in his late 50's. then there was a quad parked nearby, was that him?
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Darth-not him, that was some-one from bleasdale area who was polite.
    Thought it might be a new game keeper - came over as a right a**ehole. As we climbed the shooting track noticed all the new feeders and pens around. No one will put me off - almost second home at times.