Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'O' shoes (with metal dobs)

Fellhound

'O' shoes (with metal dobs)

Has anyone any experience of using these for winter fellrunning? I know Shane Ohly used them on his Winter Ramsay but I'm interested in whether it is worth buying a pair for general winter runs in snowy/icy conditions.

Also, do the Inov8 version (Mudclaw O340?) measure up to the Scandinavian opposition from Olway, Jalas etc. ?

Master

Re: 'O' shoes (with metal dobs

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Has anyone any experience of using these for winter fellrunning? I know Shane Ohly used them on his Winter Ramsay but I'm interested in whether it is worth buying a pair for general winter runs in snowy/icy conditions.

Also, do the Inov8 version (Mudclaw O340?) measure up to the Scandinavian opposition from Olway, Jalas etc. ?
    The metal studs collapsed quickly in My 340s. I just carried on using them for normal fell runs.

Inov-8 have got a problem in keeping the studs in place, which I understand. Once they deal with this they'll have a very good product.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    The metal studs collapsed quickly in My 340s. I just carried on using them for normal fell runs.

Inov-8 have got a problem in keeping the studs in place, which I understand. Once they deal with this they'll have a very good product.
    I have a pal who bought a pair for a steep grassy race, but the studs pulled out too at the first go. Stick with the 330s.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

FSS, Trundler and I are well aware of these 'O' shoes at Rick & Angela's. I think he is just exploring cheaper options at the moment. If you read the link on the Winter Ramsay thread to Shane Ohly's article, you will see that even these beauties were not trouble free, with the dobs pushing up through the soles into his feet on the low level rocky sections.
    Must admit the last entry on that page of the Compass Point Online site - the Jalas Cross Control Boot - looks the businees for anyone with dodgy ankles in severe winter conditions. BUT having spoken to a SROC member who owns a pair, he reckons that ordinary low-cut 'O' shoes with a proprietary orthopaedic ankle brace give him more support.

I have a pair of Jalas shoes which are great for winter running, never lost any of the metal dobs, it like running with Velcro on your feet they stick to anything, I now consider them a must in icy winter conditions, you will love it when you run past someone with crampons on!

They look like a bowling shoe - but those metal studs would really mess up the floor!

Master

How do these Scandinavian(I assume they are) shoes compare to walshes, inov-8s etc? Anyone else use these instead?

The other thing I was wondering: can customers visit Compass point,or is it mail order only?
    Last edited by CL; 06-12-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Got a pair of O340's. Dislike them for orienteering. Used them the last couple of weekends on long days in the lakes on the snow and ice, worn with a pair of SealSkinz - brilliant.

Cool Re: 'O' shoes (with metal dobs

I have orienteered for a number of years and possible can see the merit of metal studs on ice but they can be very slippery on rock. The other point to consider is that they are very tough shoes to prevent brambles punctures etc. Usually I have to break O shoes in so I don't get heel 'rubs' and have to wear compeed for a bit until they soften up. I have had 1 pair of O shoes from Ultrasport that didn't require breaking in, can't remember what these are called. Ian at Ultrasport could advise you. He is really helpful and both orienteers and fell runs.

Both Ultrasport and Compass Point have shops, a mail order website and attend events around the country. They both go to National O events and smaller regional events. As Ultrasport is based in Newport Shropshire Ian, 'fountain of all knowledge' tends to cover events in the West Mids' and further south.Compass Point has a shop in 'Lythem'? St Annes ( think that's the place- look on the net) They tend to circulate more in the North West.

Many orienteers wear fell running shoes for O events. I wonder why??? Slippers come to mind!!!! May be you will be lucky.

Hope that helps

Baaarby