Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: thats special

Re: thats special

There must be quite a few top fell runners who can claim to be top cyclists as well. One of the best must be Yvonne Macgregor - 8th in the World Trophy in 1989 (where a certain saz was 4th) and then gaining top honours in cycling including Olympic bronze and World Track Gold.
    Last edited by Malky; 05-12-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: wrong date !

Remember also that Andy Peace has finished in the top 10 in the World championships in 2 different sports (mentioned before) - mountain running & duathlon.
    How many people can claim to have finished in the worlds top 10 in 2 sports !
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Mark Croasdale of Lancaster & Morecambe / Bingley / L & M has won the fell running champs on different occasions plus for years he was first runner home in the 'man v horse' and he represented GB in cross country ski-ing at the Albertville winter olympics. But being a Royal Marine he could be regarded as being a 'professional'!

Ian Fergason should have been the first man to win both the running and cycling 3 Peaks - but suffered mechanicals and lost out to those who had better support than he

Wendy Dodds - I am sure was a junior international swimmer and has also competed internationally in ski orienteering

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post

Wendy Dodds - I am sure was a junior international swimmer and has also competed internationally in ski orienteering

Correct! The Fellrunner February 2002 page 9 paras 3 & 5 refer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    I always thought Billy's other sport was dry stone wall hurdling or something.

Seriously, the great Eric Mitchell of Dark Peak was a very good cyclist in his younger days and I believe only took up fell running in his fifties. I remember seeing him compete in fell races well into his seventies.
    Eric will be at Tanky's, cheering on probably from the start and then at Wessenden.

Back in the '70s / early '80s was there not a top fell runner in the Peak District called Ian Jewel? I know that in the same era there was a professional cyclo-cross rider of the same ( and not very common ) name who rode for the Chris Barber Jazz Band / Geoffrey Butler Cycles team. Were they one and the same?
    Also in that same era there was a top pro cyclo-crosser called Barry Davies who rode for the Harrogate based Ron Kitching team and had multiple 3 Peaks wins. I believe that he was an ex professional guides racer.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 05-12-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    What about Ron Fawcett?
    He was in my opinion the best rock climber in Britain throughout the 70’s and 80’s and he’s not too shabby at fellrunning either. Enter almost any race in the peak and you can usually guarantee that “big Ron” will be there.
    Couldn't agree more about Rocket Ron - an unsung hero of British sport in the 70's/80's. Masters Edge, Right Wall and countless other 1st ticks. I think Ron's name crops up in Extreme Rock more than any other. Not everyone is aware that they are standing on a start line with a sporting legend. A potential interviewee for Breeze surely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    What about Ron Fawcett?
    Ron Fawcett

also

Pete Livesey
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Back in the '70s / early '80s was there not a top fell runner in the Peak District called Ian Jewel? I know that in the same era there was a professional cyclo-cross rider of the same ( and not very common ) name who rode for the Chris Barber Jazz Band / Geoffrey Butler Cycles team. Were they one and the same?
    The fell runner you're thinking of is probably Derek Jewell of Dark Peak.