Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clubs etc.

Re: Clubs etc.

The first thing I would say to Babble is that he should question if this club is the right one for him.

If I joined a club such as Sale I would never get a run.

Actually - it's the same here at BBH - I'm not good enough to get in the team.

So we enter more than one team. We made 3 entries last April for the Northern 12 stage Road Relays - only a part C team, but everybody that wanted a run got one - 31 of us.

So Babble should lobby his club to enter another team, or leave them for a club that is better suited to his level.

We do try to make sure that everyone that wants to run, gets a run in these type of events.

We know there is one prominent runner who in effect runs 1st claim for 2 clubs and wins titles on road for one club and fell for the other. I don't like that, but I won't lodge a complaint. If someone ever does, it would be interesting to see the outcome.
    It would be a major controversy of a disqualification or the whole blowing apart of the 1st claim / 2nd claim system of membership.

If I ran for another club (2nd claim) purely on the fells, would I be allowed to be a team counter for that club?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The first thing I would say to Babble is that he should question if this club is the right one for him.

If I joined a club such as Sale I would never get a run.

Actually - it's the same here at BBH - I'm not good enough to get in the team.

So we enter more than one team. We made 3 entries last April for the Northern 12 stage Road Relays - only a part C team, but everybody that wanted a run got one - 31 of us.

So Babble should lobby his club to enter another team, or leave them for a club that is better suited to his level.

We do try to make sure that everyone that wants to run, gets a run in these type of events.

We know there is one prominent runner who in effect runs 1st claim for 2 clubs and wins titles on road for one club and fell for the other. I don't like that, but I won't lodge a complaint. If someone ever does, it would be interesting to see the outcome.
    It would be a major controversy of a disqualification or the whole blowing apart of the 1st claim / 2nd claim system of membership.
    You make some well reasoned points WP but:

- Leaving his club and joining another more suited to his level. Bit drastic that. He might be very happy with his club in other respects in terms of proximity, friendliness of people etc. Many newcomers to a club will initially find themselves pretty low down in the pecking order.

- Entering more than one team is obviously something many clubs do. But in the case of the Calderdale Way you have to have multiples of 12. There is a good chance of somebody missing out regardless of the number wanting to run.

As I said, I understand why there has to be rules otherwise top runners might decide to defect to another club that had more chance of winning the prizes than their own. But where a runner is classed as not good enough by a particular club to run for their team(s) (in effect surplus to requirements) why deprive them completely from partaking in the event? What useful purpose does it serve and is this not the case of the rules being an end in themselves? I would be very disappointed to see any club enforce such a rule in circumstances such as this.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 10-12-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Leaving his club may be a bit drastic but

I chose BBH as it caters for juniors - my kids - we have team support at fixtures by way of club tent / team management and coaches.
    We have mixed level of competition.
    It also caters for me as a Road, Fell and XC runner.

If I had a preference for a discipline such as Fell - which many do on here - I may chose Clayton, Darwen, Chorley H, Horwich - to give me more fell options, perhaps at the expense of other options.
    I'm sure that Babble has other options - indeed he mentions his Tri Club - maybe he should be first claim for them.

We all make such choices.

Calderdale is a 12 man team - can you enter with a B team and go with 10 - a part team - maybe an Open team and mix in ladies etc.
    I am sure that you can.

We may well only get 6 - 8 for our B team at Pennine Bridleway, but we will be there.

Without knowing more of the individual case and clubs, it's hard to discuss specifically.

But the rules are there, the organisers set the event up under UKA Rules / Fra Rules - then that is what needs to be applied.

I think normally in such cases where a team is not likely to count for anything, they just declare the "non-eligibible" runner in advance and there will be no comeback, unless perhaps they win a category.

We did have a case of a new member joined us from Chorley Harriers, not cleared for the FRA relays and he would have been an A teamer probably. We put him on last leg of B team, so that he could have a run, checked beforehand to make sure his old club had no objections, they didn't - no problems.
    If someone had objected, our B team could have been disqualified.

Babble - forgot to mention - re Fell Ponies - we aren't a "proper" club anyway, so the problem doesn't arise - if we put in a team (and we're working on it) it would be classed as a "composite" team and, as such, ineligible for prizes/leg records - so there's the answer to your problem: if you can't wangle a run otherwise... run for the Ponies! you'd be most welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    If I ran for another club (2nd claim) purely on the fells, would I be allowed to be a team counter for that club?
    Only if Accy were not fell affiliated.

It's like the reverse of Clayton / Darwen who are not track affiliated, so some of their runners join a track club 2nd claim, but can run 1st claim only for the track club.

Each club has to send in an annual affiliation for the disciplines of Track & Field, XC, Road, Fell, Trail and Race Walking.
    If you're club ticks all 6 boxes then that is your club almost without exception.

Each club has to send in an annual affiliation for the disciplines of Track & Field, XC, Road, Fell, Trail and Race Walking.
    Which body would the relative annual sub go to? FRA or all to NOEAA?

It used to be NoE - I assume that it is now England Athletics.

Clubs do not affiliate to the FRA - only individuals (I think)

Run for whoever you want. This is fell not track.

A club chairman

It's like the reverse of Clayton / Darwen who are not track affiliated, so some of their runners join a track club 2nd claim, but can run 1st claim only for the track club.

If you're club ticks all 6 boxes then that is your club almost without exception.
    That's not strictly correct. You can also run for a 'higher first claim' club for track.