Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clubs etc.

Re: Clubs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Run for whoever you want. This is fell not track.

A club chairman
    I'll recruit Neil Tatt to run for us at he next FRA Relays then

Is it just me, or are we saying that there are rules but everybody ignores them? If so, why do we have the rules? (with a nod to WP's points about the potentail of a club 'cherry picking' a top team).
    It strikes me that Babble's club might think they're doing the right thing.

Its all a bit confusing but thanks for the advice guys. As Duff says I think my Club may think that they are doing the right thing. Ill talk to them and see if we can sort it out. They are a good club otherwise.
    Daz, thnaks for the offer of a Pony place but I think that might confuse things even more. Good luck in the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I'll recruit Neil Tatt to run for us at he next FRA Relays then
    That's OK with me. My only concern would be if we picked someone for a team and they chose to run for someone else.

PS we don't enter FRA relays

You never know? Next October's a while off yet?

We never used to either!

That's OK with me. My only concern would be if we picked someone for a team and they chose to run for someone else.

A more sensible and practical rule would be:

- All runners should give their first claim club first option on them. So you couldn't run for another club if your first claim club wanted you on their team.
    - Any team that has second claim runners should be ineligible for prizes.

That would stop teams cherry picking elite runners that don't normally run for them but not penalise runners who can't get into their first claim club's team(s).

For fell running - unlike road and track & field - there is no second claim.

However FRA rules for competition say your first claim club for fell running may be different from your first claim club for other disciplines. So it is possible to have two different first claim clubs, but you need to qualify the claim status with the discipline you are talking about. (This is often overlooked with tiresome protests of "but that's not your first claim club").

Sometimes clubs which affiliate to fells give consent for an individual to switch first claim clubs for fell running only, on a permanent basis. Every case is different, but it is most likely done where the club acknowledges the lack of team competition within, and it's in the interest of the athlete, so they can enjoy the advantage of better team competition on the fells. There are a number of athletes who have done this.

There are no rules which support the idea of switching between clubs depending which has a team out. Generally, for events involving open team competition, such as championship races and most relays, including Calderdale, and the UKA relays, you can only represent your first claim fell running club.

When the event is non-championship, the organisers are free to waive this restriction. The Pennine Bridleway Relay allows teams consisting of runners from different clubs, but such teams are not eligible for prizes. The lower-key Gummers How fell race also consents to composite teams (e.g. "Limited Edition") and is happy for them to walk away loaded with cash, much to other clubs' chagrin!

England Athletics do little to help our understanding of the "first claim fell running club" issue. The current Club Affiliation form shows clearly the sports clubs can choose to affiliate to. But the forms relating to individual athletes, and for switching clubs, do not support this idea, most probably through oversight.
    Last edited by Pike; 11-12-2008 at 06:29 PM.

The FRA Rules, although not redundant by any means, seem to defer to UKA Rules when it comes to eligibility - 1st / 2nd claim etc.

That would suggest that Fell Running doesn't have any special arrangement any more than the other disciplines.

The current set up is not right and it is certainly not clear. The problem is that if it were ever amended, the likes of us would not be asked, the authorities would cook up another pig's ear of a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The FRA Rules, although not redundant by any means, seem to defer to UKA Rules when it comes to eligibility - 1st / 2nd claim etc.

That would suggest that Fell Running doesn't have any special arrangement any more than the other disciplines.

The current set up is not right and it is certainly not clear. The problem is that if it were ever amended, the likes of us would not be asked, the authorities would cook up another pig's ear of a system.
    Sounds like an issue for next years AGM?

http://www.forum.fellrunner.org.uk/s...ead.php?t=5854

Proposals to amend this I suppose?

It would be better to change the UKA rule though so that all disciplines are sorted!

RULE NINE
    a) Team events : Runners may count in competition for their first claim fell-running club only,
    which may be different from their first claim road, cross-country or track club if that club does
    not cater for fell-running. To be eligible to count in British and English Championships,
    English clubs must be affiliated to a UK Athletics Regional AA and English athletes must be
    registered with a Regional AA OR be members of the FRA.
    b) Club membership : UKA Rules regarding club membership and first claim status apply to all
    athletes. A six months' waiting period is required between ceasing membership of a club and
    competing as a team member of another club.(Note that this does not prevent an athlete
    running for another club immediately on resigning from his previous club, simply that he
    cannot count for them in a team for six months.)
    Claims for exemption from this Rule may be made to the appropriate Regional Eligibility
    Committee in accordance with UKA Rule 6.