Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Sports.

Other Sports.

I've not been running seriously for a number of years, but when I was I very rarely did other sports because I was worried about the injury risk. I did play a bit of 5 a side football but little else.

Since stopping running seriously, I now participate in a load of sports like Kickboxing, Squash, Tennis, 5 a side amongst others. Is this unique to me, or does running stop you from participation in other sports?

Super Moderator

Re: Other Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    I've not been running seriously for a number of years, but when I was I very rarely did other sports because I was worried about the injury risk. I did play a bit of 5 a side football but little else.

Since stopping running seriously, I now participate in a load of sports like Kickboxing, Squash, Tennis, 5 a side amongst others. Is this unique to me, or does running stop you from participation in other sports?
    I used to do much more hill walking and mountain biking before starting running around 4years ago. I don't see it as a negative thing though as I now have many new friends I've met at my club, at races and through this forum and I'm much fitter (and around 25lb lighter) now too
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I used to take part in loads of other sports but time constraints and other priorities mean it is almost solely running for me know.

I used to play football in the local leagues but a broken leg and ankle and old age put a stop to that, played tennis in a league but drifted away from that, played squash regularly but my mate had a heart attack on court and died while we were playing 3 years ago and i havent played since, used to have a gym membership but let that lapse.

I do like to vary the disciplines of running i take part in and love to travel to different areas for races or just to go for a run so i never get bored with running and cant see that i ever will

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post

Not quite injury related, but i play cricket in the summer.
    This year running vs cricket wasn’t too much of a problem because i had only just taken up running and i just ran the odd time during the week.

But next year its going to be different. Winter nets start at the end on January on a Sunday night and move outside around April on a Tuesday night.
    April is also when the season starts and goes through to September. I play both Saturdays and Sundays.
    I was the Sunday team captain but i told them to let someone else have a go because i want to be able to race on a Sunday - only issue is that if on a Saturday i pick up an injury or my legs are tired, it could affect the racing.
    I always get injured at the start of the season because my upper body takes a hammering as i bowl quite fast and i always pull a few muscles.

But, since ive been running i think hopefully it shouldn’t injury me too bad.

Cripes! I never have enough time for all the things i like to do!

It's hard enough finding time for a run sometimes.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    It's hard enough finding time for a run sometimes.
    ditto that one! And still plagued by injuries from other sports in the past!
    www.vlaevents.co.uk Fancy something different?

I used to do a fair bit of cycling but after discovering that the more i run the quicker i get i focused more on running this year,also like rock climbing now and again,i think it does you good to do other things and have a break from running,i am taking it easy at the moment running when i feel like it and going out on my bike when i want to and next week i'm off to thailand rock climbing for 3 weeks,so wont be running then but when i get back i will be in running mode again

Ten years ago the doctors told me i would never run again! Both ankles smashed after a fall whilst climbing, Two weeks after they took the plasters off i walked up Snowdon (it did hurt a little). I now cycle, run, fly big kites and climb. I like fun.

I started running in the first place to stregthen my knee up after injuring it playing footy.

I have gone back to playing footy once a week, but tbh it interferes with my running now and I'm thinking of giving it up!