Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non stop PW

Non stop PW

Got this silly idea in my head -probably too much wine- to see how far I can get as a non-stop attempt. I know the record is in the region of 2-3 days but I'm assuming that was taking decent sleeps and running faster than I could manage.

Anyway, it would not be until 2011 - once my PhD's over (assuming I make it that far). Fancy a really intense physical challenge like maybe this or the BG,PB & RR in the same month as each other. Another one I've fancied doing for a while is the G5 (Lake Geneva to the Med).

At this stage it's all a bit 'pie in the sky' - certainly my fitness is currently around the level of... hmm, won't bother going into that but ~30 months is a long time. Any thoughts, tips, facts, etc welcome.

two toenails

Re: Non stop PW

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Got this silly idea in my head -probably too much wine- to see how far I can get as a non-stop attempt. I know the record is in the region of 2-3 days but I'm assuming that was taking decent sleeps and running faster than I could manage.

Anyway, it would not be until 2011 - once my PhD's over (assuming I make it that far). Fancy a really intense physical challenge like maybe this or the BG,PB & RR in the same month as each other. Another one I've fancied doing for a while is the G5 (Lake Geneva to the Med).

At this stage it's all a bit 'pie in the sky' - certainly my fitness is currently around the level of... hmm, won't bother going into that but ~30 months is a long time. Any thoughts, tips, facts, etc welcome.
    Managed 63 miles or so in one day.
    Edale about 4:30 in the morning until 8 pm.
    Lots of back-up. Better if people do the navigating for you
    though. Went wrong early on over Kinder in the mist.
    Map brain goes dead after a while.
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by two toenails View Post
    Better if people do the navigating for you
    though. Went wrong early on over Kinder in the mist.
    Map brain goes dead after a while.
    I had an opposite problem - intense heat and no wind (1985). Peat hags were all dry. Anyway, I nipped off trail to avoid all the hikers so I could have my lunch in peace. Beautiful - total solitude. When I was ready to go, got my compass out to find my way back... I've never had a compass not work before! (or since) It was as though the needle had been completely demagnetised!!! No views to navigate by (I was on top of a flat hill surrounded by peat hags taller than me) so I literally followed my nose... I knew there were reservoirs ahead next to the trail - I just kept sniffing the air and picked up the scent of water!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing! We're so used to moisture and wet conditions that we often don't notice subtle smells like that. Brought me back to exactly where I'd planned to be.

This is a nice race you might like Pilgrim

http://www.3100.ws/
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mxhornet View Post
    This is a nice race you might like Pilgrim

http://www.3100.ws/
    ...negotiate 5649 laps of a .5488 of a mile course (883 meters) in the timespan of 51 days;

I'm going dizzy just thinking about it!!! Does it help to have one leg shorter than the other?
    Thanks for the suggestion but I sense a certain lack of solitude and every changing scenery!

Just a thought

Fellhound

Pilgrim, you NEED to read Mike Cudahy's book "Wild Trails to Far Horizons" Mike was the first man to break 3 days for the PW (only Mike Hartley has since repeated the feat) and his book is full of the kind of challenges you are seeking!

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Pilgrim, you NEED to read Mike Cudahy's book "Wild Trails to Far Horizons" Mike was the first man to break 3 days for the PW (only Mike Hartley has since repeated the feat) and his book is full of the kind of challenges you are seeking!
    Cheers for that! I'll have to get hold of a copy. Just checked and only 8 libraries in England have one!

How do you check which libraries have certain books ?

Quote Originally Posted by mxhornet View Post
    How do you check which libraries have certain books ?
    http://www.worldcat.org/