Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paddy Buckley

Re: Paddy Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Main issue is getting from nantlle ridge to craig wen I reckon.
    which way did you go on your round Iain?

Off Garn, back on yourself to the gate on the edge of beddgelert forest, then follow forestry tracks to Pont Cae Gors. Cross the road, up the track to the farm and head up hill on the RHS of the wall, basically following the parish boundary, cutting through the fields to the summit of craig wen.

I looked at the route via Rhydd Dhu but it's longer and also contains a boggy section cutting across to the bwlch between Craig wen and Yr Aran.

Off Garn, back on yourself to the gate on the edge of beddgelert forest, then follow forestry tracks to Pont Cae Gors. Cross the road, up the track to the farm and head up hill on the RHS of the wall, basically following the parish boundary, cutting through the fields to the summit of craig wen.

I looked at the route via Rhydd Dhu but it's longer and also contains a boggy section cutting across to the bwlch between Craig wen and Yr Aran.
    I think its easier going the LHS of the wall up to Craig Wen
    Bill

I have got an mmo file with quite good route detail. Ian (or anyone else with M Map) PM me and will email it. The best and quickest route to the Rhosydd quarries passes S of Llyn Conglog and contours on fairly runable ground.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    I have got an mmo file with quite good route detail. Ian (or anyone else with M Map) PM me and will email it. The best and quickest route to the Rhosydd quarries passes S of Llyn Conglog and contours on fairly runable ground.
    Yiannis
    Yiannis could you export it as a gpx file in M Map and send me that?
    Bill

For those interested, I have attached some explanations for difficult sections of the Welsh Round. If any references given appear odd let me know and I will check and correct.
    Yiannis

Starting from Capel Curig, clockwise:

1. As you enter the forest after Plas y Brenin make sure you follow the correct path in a southerly direction (not obvious in the dark).
    2. Leave M Siabod in a westerly direction and cross fence at stile near fence ‘T’ junction.
    3. After Carnedd Cribau, at SH 668527, move away from the fence, go round rocky knoll and rejoin fence as you descend into valley (Bwlch y Rhediad).
    4. From Allt Fawr follow grassy slope to cross stream S of Llyn Conglog, then descend SW on grass between rock outcrops and pick partly grassy contour between rocks, pass by old sheepfold and cross small spoil heap. Cross stream just above the waterfall and head for E corner of mine buildings.
    5. From Moelwyn Mawr go E then down ridge path NE, pass E of knoll (north top) and descend just E of Llyn Croesor. Moving in a northerly direction make your way to wet valley and pass by the end of stone wall (SH660461) which comes up from Cwm Croesor below.
    The support team could walk to this point from the quarry buildings and wait until the contender returns from the Moelwyns, to offer more food and drinks. (Then they will have to leg it back to Tanygrisiau and drive to Nantmor to get there ahead of the contender). Cross the miners track and climb in a NW direction. Follow small path close to the edge and descend to dam of Llyn cwm y Foel. Along dam, uphill by wall, right into second gully between rocks, round end of spur, diagonally up scree, steep grass to col (SH647467), left to Cnicht.
    6. From Nantmor car park follow road to bridge, left and after 60-70 yards right before hotel. Over FB and uphill in wood staying S of stream, out of wood through wall opening, W along path. When you come to a wall, right through wall opening and pass just left of old buildings and head for wall junction at SH 579457. From the top follow the ridge N then turn NW to col (SH574461) and make your way to the top of M Hebog following small paths.
    7. From Moel Lefn head N following good path past mines to forest edge (SH553497). Ascend on right of wall, rough heather at first, to the rocky summit of Y Gyrn, just above wall. Leave in a northerly direction in rough heather, avoid crags and head for wall junction at SH553503, down to gate etc.
    8. The bit between Mynydd Drws y coed and Y Garn is mainly a rocky scramble. Follow ridge path.
    9. From Y Garn cross wall at stile, through boulder field and then S-SE to pick up stream on your right. Cross stream at SH556519 and take path through forest to P. C. gors.
    10. The house at Cae’r-gors has been uninhabited on and off and there has not been any problem going up to it, round the back and up on one or the other side of the wall to Craig Wen. Paddy specifies the fence junction as the checkpoint although the true summit comes further on (608m)
    11. From Yr Aran NE then N down the wall etc.
    12. From M. Eilio follow the NE ridge with fence/wall on your left. Eventually leave wall to come to gate/stile at SH573590. You can either follow the road past the YH through the town or, if you can reccie it, follow green foot path marked on OS 25k, through fields then tarmac. At T junction either turn right, under railway bridge, left to main road and left or through playground and through housing estate (quicker but needs careful reccie).
    13. Llanberis changeover at CP (SH 584599). Down to T junction, right and left up zigzag path to join mine incline at metal foot bridge. Through kissing gates by old buildings at SH592606 and up (NE) cable conduits. Leave and rejoin conduits two or three times on left up rough steps. Up a couple of rough inclines to eventually reach gate at tarmac lane at SH598613. Over gate and up short incline (E) and up the fell. This is hard in the dark.
    14. The Glyders are not too bad in good visibility but they are difficult in the dark or in clag. From Glyder Fach go past the cantilever on your right and stick to a bearing of 60o to get to the rough gully by the Bristly Ridge and down to Bwlch Goch. I have done this section in the night in bad weather and it is hard. There appears to be a chasm in whatever direction you look. It is said that Martin Stone, while soloing the Paddy, got to this point in a dark night and spent the best part of an hour looking for an exit.
    From Tryfan go N/NE to the gully and left down the rocky gully, down the path and aim to cross the stream (Nant Bochlwyd) near the road. Over stile just W of stream. Changeover at small lay-by where ascent path starts.
    Going the other side of Ogwen takes longer.
    15. From Pen Llithrig y Wrach go S/SW down the heather aiming towards grassy gully and follow quite distinct trod zigzagging S to fb at SH717609.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    From Tryfan go N/NE to the gully and left down the rocky gully, down the path and aim to cross the stream (Nant Bochlwyd) near the road. Over stile just W of stream. Changeover at small lay-by where ascent path starts.
    Going the other side of Ogwen takes longer.
    This is what I think, but looking at this photo (http://www.highsports.co.uk/blog/wp-...-round/pb2.jpg) Chris Near went via Glandana when he matched the record.

Nicky Spinks went this way on her round so I spent quite a while checking the 2 out and was convinced the Ogwen Cottage route was quicker, just mentally tougher.

This is what I think, but looking at this photo (http://www.highsports.co.uk/blog/wp-...-round/pb2.jpg) Chris Near went via Glandana when he matched the record.

Nicky Spinks went this way on her round so I spent quite a while checking the 2 out and was convinced the Ogwen Cottage route was quicker, just mentally tougher.
    Ian,
    Nothing is absolute in life. The distance via Glandena is a little longer but the terrain may suite some more than others. Timewise there is probably little difference. The Welsh 3000s optimum route goes via the west end of Llyn Ogwen and straight up the steep climb to Pen yr Ole Wen. If my memory is right, Colin Donnelly in his record run went that way and did Tryfan-Ogwen 13min, Ogwen-Pen y O W 38min. Angela Carson who holds the womens record, did 23:42 and 38:50(!)
    Yiannis