Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Headless Winter BG

Re: Headless Winter BG

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Sounds like a brilliant day out.

I'm interested to know where you all were when it got light and when it got dark. I imagine the plan was to do most of legs 3 & 4 in daylight.
    Marvin

Eddie set of at 10.00 pm clockwise, so he was at Dunmail for a little after 6.30. It got properly light around Sergeant Man (which we did before High Raise) and we were in Wasdale around 1.15 pm. I guess it got proper dark again around Kirkfell but hopefully Eddie can confirm when he gets a minute.

Great End across to Scafell was pretty interesting as was Lord's Rake. hadn't been in there for about 23 years or so. It hasn't improved much.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Well done Headless!

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Marvin

Eddie set of at 10.00 pm clockwise, so he was at Dunmail for a little after 6.30. It got properly light around Sergeant Man (which we did before High Raise) and we were in Wasdale around 1.15 pm. I guess it got proper dark again around Kirkfell but hopefully Eddie can confirm when he gets a minute.
    We put the torches back on on the summit of Kirkfell. They could have gone on a few minutes earlier but that's the first time anyone needed them to read the map by.

Timings were dictated by wanting to be on the back end of leg 3 in daylight. That and getting back before the pubs shut

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I seem to remember you telling me you fancied it for your 40th 2-3 years ago whilst we ran round the Trollers Trot together.

Expect lots of congratulations of the coming weeks and every one asking you whats next?
    It has been a long time in gestation. I first came across the BG in 1994 when I spent many weekends in the Lakes reccieing with and then supporting Mark Hawker's successful round. Some planning went on over the next couple of years but it wan't high enough on my priority list so didn't happen.

I started contemplating the idea of a Winter round about 3 years ago when I noted my 40th was on a Saturday. Just a vague notion at the time. I had a chat with Martin Stone about it and he thought I had it in me. I then spent a year playing with it in my own mind before deciding that I was mad enough. My conversation with you was during this phase.

I have been doing more ultra over the last year. I've been doing the Lakeland classics for many years but this year have done 4 events over 30 miles, 2 50 milers and 1 100 mile event plus many days (and nights) out on the hills.

I put an article in the Ilkley Harriers newsletter in the Summer and received plenty of volunteers.

As for what's next, I have an idea but I'm going to keep quiet about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Headless View Post
    It has been a long time in gestation. I first came across the BG in 1994 when I spent many weekends in the Lakes reccieing with and then supporting Mark Hawker's successful round. Some planning went on over the next couple of years but it wan't high enough on my priority list so didn't happen.

I started contemplating the idea of a Winter round about 3 years ago when I noted my 40th was on a Saturday. Just a vague notion at the time. I had a chat with Martin Stone about it and he thought I had it in me. I then spent a year playing with it in my own mind before deciding that I was mad enough. My conversation with you was during this phase.

I have been doing more ultra over the last year. I've been doing the Lakeland classics for many years but this year have done 4 events over 30 miles, 2 50 milers and 1 100 mile event plus many days (and nights) out on the hills.

I put an article in the Ilkley Harriers newsletter in the Summer and received plenty of volunteers.

As for what's next, I have an idea but I'm going to keep quiet about it.
    July the 14th 2012 is a saturday - and my birthday ....there we go...thats my BG attempt date set!!!!

Well done Eddie and welcome to both clubs - the BG and the Vets brigade

Surprising where time can go following even a small slip up on that last leg even though it's the shortest fell section.