Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you remember getting into..

Do you remember getting into..

Okay, Do you remember getting into this sport?
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 02-01-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: B'cos its not needed anymore

Re: Do you remember getting in

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    Okay, Do you remember getting into this sport?

Abit of history about me...

8 yrs ago i was 8 half stone, 22 inch waist, very slim, walked everywhere...

Then i got a car...

Then driving to Trafford Centre on a Sunday morning, a drunk driver hit my car and put me in hospital, i was lucky to be alive, even my brother drove pass the wreck and told my Mum who ever was in that crash were dead.

I was on crutches for 2 years, damaged hip and knee caps. Also gained a hearing condition called Hyperacusis and Vertigo.

So now i am overweight, not fit whatsoever...

I still need an operation on one of my kneecaps, but hip is doing fine now, so if you had the pleasure of meeting me 2 weeks ago, you will know i am way to fat for this forum!!!

But thats going to change, and i need some advice, i have some nice trainers and i have a nice tracksuit, so now i just need some advice on getting started...

Obviously i have to start slowly...

Do you remember when you first got into running?
    Any tips? running ones not fat joke ones heard them all thanks!
    ouch! thats a horrible story, imagine having to travel to the trafford centre

Sorry! anyway very happy to hear you are on the mend
    I don't know just how fit you are but I know it sounds obvious but start one step at a time. Try do a hilly walk but jog the gentle bits and the down hills where you can manage and just build it up. Do a bit of road work, again walk/jog to start with may be jog 1 minute- walk 1 minute and repeat or do some cycling over winter to add to you fitness. if it hurts too much then ease back. Work on the mileage for the first year and forget speed as that will come as you get stronger and lose more weight.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Thank you Ian!

Also Emmi thanks for the email...

I found this info online, well i found about 12 pages for me to save...

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-278-0,00.html

I was abit scared of adding this but glad i did now...

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    ouch! thats a horrible story, imagine having to travel to the trafford centre

Sorry! anyway very happy to hear you are on the mend
    I don't know just how fit you are but I know it sounds obvious but start one step at a time. Try do a hilly walk but jog the gentle bits and the down hills where you can manage and just build it up. Do a bit of road work, again walk/jog to start with may be jog 1 minute- walk 1 minute and repeat or do some cycling over winter to add to you fitness. if it hurts too much then ease back. Work on the mileage for the first year and forget speed as that will come as you get stronger and lose more weight.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.
    Good advice Ian, add to that stay positive and don't be too hard on yourself if you feel your not getting fit as quick as you'd like. At least your out there and having a go
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    Thank you Ian!

Also Emmi thanks for the email...

I found this info online, well i found about 12 pages for me to save...

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-278-0,00.html

I was abit scared of adding this but glad i did now...
    No problem

It's worth noting that it will take about 4 weeks for you see an improvement so stick to it. On the plus side if you do stick to it you should see significant improvement more readily than say some one who is at the top of their game as they are working on such small increments of increased performance.

In January i see a 1-2-1 trainer, need to shake off this flu, and then i be ready for a program...

Looking on the sites about the run/walk programs, they cannot be to hard to do, i am guessing...

My sister seems to think if i was once slim and could do this before the accident, then i can do it again, thanks! x

You need some goals. Milestones to work towards. Might be a race, might just to be running x miles by such a time, or to lose x pounds by such a time, but you need to set yourself some targets.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

You also need to join a group that won't beast or demoralise you. Not sure where you live, suggest you have a go at hashing
    http://www.hhh.org.uk/hashing.htm

I found this really helpful as you go go out any pace including walking and its not a competiton, all ages and shapes take part, only downside is that it is very social and pub based so you need to be careful not to get sucked in to the drinking and eating side. However they are all over the uk and abroad so if you travel you can usually find one.

I used it to get fit enough to join a club, I got my nickname because I refused to go to the pub and just used to go home.

Its probably me but hashing sounds just awful. Just get out and run NB without worrying about it too much or applying too much science.

My offer still stands if you want a training partner to help you get started. There's Peel Park or the river for local work. Holcombe Hill/Scout Moor at Ramsbottom are the nearest hills.