Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed - Howgills 2000 ft

Re: Help needed - Howgills 200

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    We're a group of VERY old runners who every year do a 'challenge'
    We're thinking of the 2000ft tops in the Howgills for 2009.
    Any suggestions for starting point and route would be very gratefully received.
    Epocian, I did this round between Christmas & New Year 1988. I'd been fell running for nearly 6 years, but believe it or not I'd just bought my first pair of Brasher Boots and my first fleece jacket and they acquitted themselves well. I parked on the green triangle at Town Head, Ravenstonedale - approx NGR 722037 - and took the PFP past Kilnmire and Wye Garth into the col between Knoutberry & Greenbell to visit the 'Lune head springs on the NE flank of Greenbell - "the source of the Lune" - being a true Lancastrian. Then it was Greenbell 605m, Stockless, Randygill Top 610m, Kensgriff, Yarlside 639m, Hare Shaw, Great Dummacks 663m, Calders 674m, Bram Rigg Top 672m, The Calf 676m, White Fell Head 636m, Heights Of Bush Howe, Bush Howe 623m, Breaks Head, Breaks, Bleagill Head, Weathercalf Moss, West Grain - East Grain junction (Langdale), col to N of Hazelgill Knott, Bowderdale, ascent onto Leathgill Bridge (had to visit it this feature after reading Wainwright), countour N slopes of Randygill Top, Stockless, descending contour across S slopes of Greenbell to pick up the outward PFP to return to Town Head. A good day out (within the hours of winter daylight) for my first ever visit to the Howgills.

Many thanks for all the suggestions - my fellow 'wrinklies' and I will study all the routes and take a collective decision - We'll let you know how we get on!

I opened this thread hoping you'd made it up this week. It would be fantastic up there at the moment; crisp, cold, no wind and clear. I hope you pick a good day.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.