Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shingles

Shingles

how contagiuos is this as someone at work was diagnosed it and they are still working?
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Re: Shingles

I believe not.

I think it lies dormant in some people who have had chicken pox and can be "ignited" by contact with someone who has CP rather than someone who has shingles.

That's why it is wise to keep older relatives away from kids who have CP, as it can be painful particularly in older age.

Can also be stress indused I think.

You can catch chickenpox from someone who has shingles, if you never had chickenpox, so they should be off work, plus its dangerous for them to be around anyone who is the beginning of a pregnancy... If the person with shingles has gone past the itchy crusty stage then its not contagious, but still should be off work.

Thing is, you cannot get shingles from shingles but you can catch chickenpox from shingles, at the crusty itchy stage...

Feel sorry for them, its really painful, and itchy and very uncomfortable, caused also by stress, its the nerve endings that get inflammed, had it a couple of years ago, it was horrible, had it around one side of the trunk of my body, ie, under the bra line... or to you boys the ribs!
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 23-12-2008 at 10:01 PM.

My father had shingles (had Chicken Pox as a kid) and at pretty much the same time I got Chicken Pox (I hadn't had it as a kid) but the doctor said it was highly unlikely that it was related...I beg to differ. If I had managed 30 years without catching it, it was too much of a coincidence in my eyes. Chicken Pox as an adult is not fun. My father however has been suffering for the last ten years with postherpetic neuralgia as a result of the shingles. I worked in an office with a pregnant woman. Within minutes of me discovering the spots, she demanded I went home...to which I obviously put up no resistance

I think they're linked. My youngest got chicken pox at 3 months when I was still feeding her (which I didn't think could happen) but very mildly. Then she got shingles aged 5 - whilst we were camping on a tandem holiday. The shingles didn't really bother her until we took her to the doctors and they made a real fuss with her being so young. Referred us to other doctors in the practice just so they could have a look I think. Seems that all these things are much worse if you get them as adults.

I contracted shingles earlier this year, it just happened, but almost certainly stress realted.
    I had no idea what it was till I went to my GP with a major rash that I had been stuffing germolene on .
    I never took any of the painkillers he gave me, I worked everyday but was rather uncomfortable, to put it mildly. Wound down my running but didn't stop completely, was very sensible for a few weeks, never pushing things.
    That's about it, I most probably had a mild dose ( on my back). I believe it can be far worse.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

It is possible to catch chicken pox off someone with shingles. It is very unusual because you have to be in direct contact with the fluid inside the blisters. And obviously if you have had the pox before it won't (usually) happen again. Shingles itself ain't catchable from the pox at all. A lot of shingles will be confined to a few blisters which quickly crust over so infectivity is very rarely an issue as most shingles tends to be on areas that are covered over with clothes anyway.

It can be purgatory if you get severe post-herpetic neuralgia (severe pain in the rash area lingering for months) but if you have not made it into the V50 category you are at v little risk of it. The older you get after that the greater the risk. The current demographics of the fell running community may make this a serious issue...
    Slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesome George View Post
    It is possible to catch chicken pox off someone with shingles. It is very unusual because you have to be in direct contact with the fluid inside the blisters. And obviously if you have had the pox before it won't (usually) happen again. Shingles itself ain't catchable from the pox at all. A lot of shingles will be confined to a few blisters which quickly crust over so infectivity is very rarely an issue as most shingles tends to be on areas that are covered over with clothes anyway.

It can be purgatory if you get severe post-herpetic neuralgia (severe pain in the rash area lingering for months) but if you have not made it into the V50 category you are at v little risk of it. The older you get after that the greater the risk. The current demographics of the fell running community may make this a serious issue...

oooohhh they will if it stops em getting to the bar for the pre race pint..
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Got the Shingles last year the day after organising a big fell event and I am pretty sure it was the stress of the event which brought it on. I wouldnt wish a mild dose on my worst enemy the pain for me was was pretty unbearable and even the strongest painkillers made little difference. The trick is to diagnose and get treatment in the first 72 hrs or there could be permanent damage and lifelong pain.

Just been diagnosed with Shingles, ironically up until the diagnosis I was probably in the best shape of my life. I will let you all know how it goes !