Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: down jacket sale

down jacket sale

I am looking to get a down/insulated jacket in the sales over the next few days, i want something that can pack down really well, that i can take on Mountain Marathons with me and that i can wear before and after races.

Can anyone recommend what to get, and where to get it from (I live in Leeds so the closer the better). I would like to be able to go and try it on b4 i buy.

Merry xmas forumites!

Re: down jacket sale

Get a primaloft jacket/smock - as warm as down, packs down as small, can wash it, just as warm wet through as when dry - altogether much better.

Look on-line for makes/models, Rab have a good range as do Montane

quite liking the look of Rab belay jacket - lightweight and windproof/waterproof.

Anyone got any experience with one of these? Altenatively i may go for a summit or a summit storm if the price is right

If it's 4 MM use (to boost a lightweight bag and to wear around the camp ) then go for a vest not a jacket. It's all about keeping the core temp up.

As for brand; don't get too hung up on it. As long as it's the pukka materials (650 fill power down, ripstop nylon outer etc) it'll do the job. Have a look at alpkit; they do ultralightweight stuff for mountaineers and their down vests are pretty good value. You cant try it on first but at the price yuo might as well order two sizes and send one back anyway.

I got the Patagonia down vest which is wind proof and has a water resistant coating. Second in the weight stakes to the PHD vest but 20% cheaper. It's so light you don't know it's on (193g) and it does a good job of insulating your torso.

Quote Originally Posted by team pie View Post
    I am looking to get a down/insulated jacket in the sales over the next few days, i want something that can pack down really well, that i can take on Mountain Marathons with me and that i can wear before and after races.

Can anyone recommend what to get, and where to get it from (I live in Leeds so the closer the better). I would like to be able to go and try it on b4 i buy.

Merry xmas forumites!
    I have had the Mountain Hardwear Phantom jacket for a couple of years now, absolutely fantastic bit of kit..
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

thanks people i got the rab summit today, is a bit on the heavy side to be honest but looks a fab jacket. Didnt like the feel of the belay in the end.

May look at a patagonia vest also, sell them in chevin trek at reasonable price

Quote Originally Posted by team pie View Post

May look at a patagonia vest also, sell them in chevin trek at reasonable price
    Got mine for 85 at Whalley Warm & Dry in sale which may still be on until early Jan................

After climbing a great hill one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ......

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Looks like large only but if that's your size it's a belting price. RRP is 100.