Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edale and Kinder Conditions

Re: Edale and Kinder Condition

All those years of not going onto frozen lakes and Sunday morning I found myself sliding over the top of the falls fingers crossed! Even last weekend there was plenty of ice left for the Kinder route to keep you concentrating. What a great couple of hours. Made work that much harder on Monday!

I reckon the place will be plastered this weekend but there will be equal number of climbers on it.

Any one fancy meeting up on Monday or Tuesday for a play or at the other big falls near glossop?

Went up to James Thorn via Lightside on Friday night it was excellent then over Shelf Moor en route to Kinder on Sat. I'm sure some of the Glossopdalers will be heading up there on Tuesday night.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Got train to Edale on Sunday morning and then "ran" back to Chinley via Crowden Clough, South Edge of Kinder and then past Brown Knoll to South Head. Good fun scramble/ice climb up the clough and still plenty of snow and ice on the edge to keep things interesting. Brown Knoll stretch still frozen enough to keep the bog monster at bay. Bring on another cold snap and more snow!!!

I'm off up to Edale this weekend, planning a run out on Saturday over Kinder to Salt cellar then north to Howden edge, round to Bleaklow stones, then south back to Edale via Crowden head. I'm hoping to drink "en route", is the water in the streams dinkable up around those parts ?? Quite concerened about it with all the melting snow going on, can anyone local give me some advice please.

Quote Originally Posted by mattg01 View Post
    I'm off up to Edale this weekend, planning a run out on Saturday over Kinder to Salt cellar then north to Howden edge, round to Bleaklow stones, then south back to Edale via Crowden head. I'm hoping to drink "en route", is the water in the streams dinkable up around those parts ?? Quite concerened about it with all the melting snow going on, can anyone local give me some advice please.
    Going for a long run on Thursday I'll report back then but I'll Pm you the springs/ good streams later.

Ian

Cheers Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by mattg01 View Post
    Hi Matt

Plenty of water about and the odd bit of snow. You can pick up water from the Spring at Crookstone Knoll, from there unless you want to go via Win Hill I would head to Back Tor from Fairholmes by taking the hagg farm route, you can top up at fairholmes then if not try the LadyBowyer Inn. There will be good water at Abbey Brook if you are following the Watershed route. from ther it will be wet but not much drinkable water as it it all peat water table but as long as you don't mind a slight detour drop to Lord Edward Howards spring (Lovely fresh water) just west of Outer edge. Not much else unless you want to drop down at Dean Head.

Not sure which route you are heading back but if you mean to join the PW then beneath Hern Clough. Plenty of possibilities as the moors are wet at the moment. Water wasn't a problem yesterday on Kinder.

Nice one Ian, i'll let you know how I get on.
    Matt.