Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenager with Altitude

Re: Teenager with Altitude

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I only did the Ennerdale last year so that would exclude me as well

We could always do it next week as a bat run Trundler
    I know you have to set guidelines, but I think the organisers should be able to exercise some discretion.

I've done PPP and Sedbergh Hills twice so would qualify, however, I think this amount of climb over such a short distance would be too much for me.

Hopefully not by the end of the year

So I would say 2 x AL in last 2 years, or a demonstrable ability to cope with such an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    or a demonstrable ability to cope with such an event.
    ..........including each entrant proving their navvi savvi at registration, maybe.

How many runners can actually use their map & compass ?
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    There's an excellent line across that ravine - YDT used it on his 60@60 24
    hours round!!
    ...but what if someone attempts to climb the waterfalls?
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Yiannis
    Someone's beaten you to it. From the Cautley Spout thread:
    2 Ice climbers were coming away from the waterfall at Moss Beck, Newlands Hause today. Looked very frozen!!

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Yiannis
    ummm... they get an early bath?
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

I understand the need for an entry requirement in an AL race, so that you dont get complete novices turning up. But look at some of the people who have already posted that they cannot meet the proposed entry requirements. Are they the sort of people to exclude? There is still an element of personal responsibility involved in fell running that should not be ignored. Someone like Trundler can, surely (given his experience), be trusted with an entry regardless of the fact that he has not done a Lakeland Classics race in the last 12 months?

Quote Originally Posted by marrow View Post
    I understand the need for an entry requirement in an AL race, so that you dont get complete novices turning up. But look at some of the people who have already posted that they cannot meet the proposed entry requirements. Are they the sort of people to exclude? There is still an element of personal responsibility involved in fell running that should not be ignored. Someone like Trundler can, surely (given his experience), be trusted with an entry regardless of the fact that he has not done a Lakeland Classics race in the last 12 months?
    I agree with that - as I said in my earlier post, I think the organisers should use a little discretion.
    The map & compass is no bother for me - the distance also is fine - it's the total amount of climb that I am not used to even though I have done 2 ALs within the qualifying period.
    I will exercise my personal responsibility and stick to AW!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Plus your BG
    I missed that

I'm working anyways, really should check my calendar first
    Bill

[QUOTE=wheezing donkey;186165]
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I know you have to set guidelines, but I think the organisers should be able to exercise some discretion.

That is exactly what the organisers are doing in stipulating entry qualifications.

Obviously, WP, from one of your later posts, your are exercising an 'ideal' level of wisdom and self-critique (in sticking to the AW); but many would not.
    It is not just the safety of the runners that the organisers have to consider. Think of the marshals! Particularly those from Robinson onwards! If the leader of the AW reaches Robinson in 30 minutes (say) that would be 12.00. If the tail-enders on the TWA have (say) a 3 hour cut-off at Newlands Hause, that would be 13.30. Allowing them another 20-25 minutes to visit High Snockrigg and get to Robinson brings us to 13.50/13.55. Would you want to be stood about on the summit of Robinson for 2 hours or more (they need to be there in good time) in the middle of April? And that 2 hours duration will get even longer for the later CP's, all on very exposed summits.
    WD - I wouldn't argue with any of the above.

The discretion I was alluding to was the sort of discretion that would allow Trundler to take part.

I don't know him, but I suspect he has the pedigree to take on this race, he just doesn't have the recent AL's in the bag.

Just an observation - you are assuming the people who are being excluded from this are the tailenders - i dont know who people are on here - only by their forum names but witton park could be quite a fast runner (he always posts on the cross country threads so he must be!) so not likely to be a tail ender, also marrow who is also excluded would not be a tailender, i'm sure he won something once - (according to the forum.)

having read back - witton park is self excluding so just ignore that example. (so why are you posting on here and confusing me)
    Last edited by Daleside; 09-01-2009 at 07:07 PM.