Thread: Nordic Walking events

Nordic Walking events

Hi All

A new forumite here, looking for some info.

Does anyone know about any more events other than the Lakeland Trail events that supports Nordic Walking.

I am keen to have a go at as many events that are on the scene, but so far I can only find these 4. Any info would be really helpful.

Many thanks

FF

Master

Re: Nordic Walkin events

Try googling it poles and fell running don`t mix in my opnion
    The older I get the Faster I was

Hi JohnK

Interesting view, and not totally unexpected. I would agree that poles in fell events would be a little unorthodox AND perhaps unwanted. Perhaps I didn't quite explain what I was after. I just wondered whether there was anyone who might have info on off road/ trail races that supports Nordic Walking. I though that people who visited the FRA site may have some suggestions/ ideas.

Any info would be good.

Thanks for your help.

FF

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Try googling it poles and fell running don`t mix in my opnion
    So I googled it and found these:

Nordic Walking or from Wikepedia

The use of poles may be beneficial when running up hills, rather than using your thighs as hand supports.

There is nothing in the FRA Rules that would prevent the use of poles in fell races.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Re: Nordic Walking events

XRunner

Thanks for your reply. I suspect if there are no restrictions in the FRA rules then it is down to the discretion of the event organisor.

I would have thought however that there must be some events that support Nordic Walking openly rather than by request?

Anyway thanks for your help. If anyone does have any ideas about Nordic Walking endorsed events their help would be appreciated.

Yours

FF

Master

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    So I googled it and found these:

Nordic Walking or from Wikepedia

The use of poles may be beneficial when running up hills, rather than using your thighs as hand supports.

There is nothing in the FRA Rules that would prevent the use of poles in fell races.

If anything i would have thought they would have been of more use on steep descents to take the weight off the knees, and for crossing becks and burns in spate to assist in steadying you.

But what do i know other than i have nearly been brought to grief more than once when racing or running on the fells, by folk placing poles where my next footfall was to be + i have also nearly been skewered by a pole more than once.

However i have no doubt that as i get less able i will be glad of the assistance they will offer me.

Sorry i can`t be more helpful but my experience of pole wielding folk has not been great.

Best of luck with your quest.

you could try some of the ldwa events . aimed at walkers but open to runners im sure they have a web site and have been mentioned on here before . or try googleing ldwa
    table for 2 have you got a reservation ? have i got a reservation!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fellfreak View Post
    Hi All

A new forumite here, looking for some info.

Does anyone know about any more events other than the Lakeland Trail events that supports Nordic Walking.

I am keen to have a go at as many events that are on the scene, but so far I can only find these 4. Any info would be really helpful.

Many thanks

FF

Take alook at the runners world website there is a Nordic Walking thread under the Ultra/Fell running etc catergory

Quote Originally Posted by fellfreak View Post
    Hi All

Many thanks

FF
    I don't see why you can't use them if you want to, you might even start a trend Fellfreak

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I will have a go at the Lakeland Trail events http://lakelandtrails.org as these do cater for Nordic Walking. And then perhaps after these I will see if I can get into some other events.

Thanks once again.

FF

p.s. If any organiser does want to cater for NW then perhaps they could let us know. TA