Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Cooks New years day

Captain Cooks New years day

No body has mentioned this race ,
    Over 250 runners on new years day great conditions and a good course.
    North Yorkshire at its finest.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Re: Captain Cooks New years da

Thats because its a cross country/stroke road race not fell - did it last year, not sure why its on the fell calendar

Re: Captain Cooks New years da

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Thats because its a cross country/stroke road race not fell - did it last year, not sure why its on the fell calendar
    I did it this year ,what time did you do last year ?

I suppose it is on the calendar as it is part of the "Winter series" of races organised by the NEHRA.
    It is one of the shortest climbs in the series.
    The climb is quoted as 885ft and race distance 5.3 miles.
    Out of interest at what heght of climb does a race become a fell race?

Captain Cook's New Year Day

Hi, hoping to do this for the first time, and wondered how much is on road, and whether full on fell shoes are best, or more of a trail shoe. Looks to be a fair bit of tarmac bashing. Ta.

Re: Captain Cook's New Year Da

Hi

Its essentially a trail or cross country race (or a poor man's fell race I supppose) . If it thaws there will be some mud, especially on the climb up to the monument but you should be ok with a reasonable trail shoe. There is a fair bit of road especially after you descend from the monument (and as this is downhill it will be slippy in studs if icy). Depending what you like its a nice event and atmosphere but i am not sure why its on the fell calendar
    Last edited by Antisocial; 22-12-2009 at 06:37 PM.

I did this race last year and really enjoyed it - short and straightforward with a good New Year atmosphere. I wore Roclites which were a bit slippy - think it will depend on the snow this year. There is a bit on road, but if it's wet I'll be wearing Walshes.
    The race is in the calendar for the same reason every other race is - it is registered with the FRA.

The first 1/2 to 3/4 mile is tarmac, then there is a 1/2 mile section in the middle that is also tarmac. I completed in mudroc 290's in 2007, will use roclites this time around most likely but have some walshes in reserve, there is a section of steep descent which is worthy of studs, but you need a reasonable tread in any event. If its not frozen then it will be wet with all the snow melt.

Nowt wrong with it being on the fell calendar, nice christmas new year social, bit of everything for the variety of people who do the race and a nice intro for people new to the sport, plus plenty of local spectator support.

And signing on is in the Royal Oak pub.
    Tuffer

Is enjoying the running

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffer View Post
    The first 1/2 to 3/4 mile is tarmac, then there is a 1/2 mile section in the middle that is also tarmac. I completed in mudroc 290's in 2007, will use roclites this time around most likely but have some walshes in reserve, there is a section of steep descent which is worthy of studs, but you need a reasonable tread in any event. If its not frozen then it will be wet with all the snow melt.

Nowt wrong with it being on the fell calendar, nice christmas new year social, bit of everything for the variety of people who do the race and a nice intro for people new to the sport, plus plenty of local spectator support.

And signing on is in the Royal Oak pub.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the race or the people who take part, I enjoyed it when I did it apart from wearing down my studs on all the tarmac, just that is erroneously described as a fell race, like all the North York moor races which are essentially trail events.

(There you go Brett, that's your Xmas present)

Why is it "erroneously described as a fell race" and shouldn't appear in the fell calendar?
    Is it because it's like a trail race...like the Ilkely Trail and the Puma Garburn Trail?
    Is it because a section is on tarmac...like 3Peaks and PYG?
    Is it because it doesn't have that much climbing...like Oakworth Hall organised by KCAC?

Or is it because you are being deliberately controversial...like Antisocial?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlegs View Post
    Why is it "erroneously described as a fell race" and shouldn't appear in the fell calendar?
    Is it because it's like a trail race...like the Ilkely Trail and the Puma Garburn Trail?
    Is it because a section is on tarmac...like 3Peaks and PYG?
    Is it because it doesn't have that much climbing...like Oakworth Hall organised by KCAC?

Or is it because you are being deliberately controversial...like Antisocial?
    Could be any of those things - what do you think?