Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Cooks New years day

Re: Captain Cook's New Year Da

Your comments were boring earlier in the thread

Nothing has changed
    Last edited by Trog; 30-12-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Oi, Antisocial. Go pick on another race.

How about the Giant's Tooth run on the same day? Not only is it a category C but they are even recommending trail shoes! What's the fell world coming to.

Mind you I think this is the most postings ever for a North York Moors race.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Your comments were boring earlier in the thread

Nothing has changed
    I thought the retractable spikes comment was quite good and I even used smileys to denote humour.

I tend to avoid or ignore boring things, but they obviously appeal to you - or are you "biting" , alternatively are you a train spotter? (note smiley and cue abuse from trainspotters) enjoy your "race"! (is there a water station half way round this year? )

Its also in my family interest to deride this as a non fell race but that's another story.

Happy New Year in advance
    Last edited by Antisocial; 31-12-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlegs View Post
    Oi, Antisocial. Go pick on another race.

How about the Giant's Tooth run on the same day? Not only is it a category C but they are even recommending trail shoes! What's the fell world coming to.

Mind you I think this is the most postings ever for a North York Moors race.
    not dissing the race , especially as many people believe road running is harder than fell.
    Might pick on GT if I do it (and I should at some point as it is only 5 miles away), but I know what you mean, the three peaks is even down as a cat A fell race and some people even wear fell shoes to do it in - honestly

oh and welcome to posting on the forum, I feel honoured that my "thoughts" have inspired you to comment
    Last edited by Antisocial; 31-12-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Dear Antisocial

I can only surmise that your comments throughout this thread are motivated by hate, jealousy or fear.

These are three of the most negative thoughts that can hinder not only your passage through life but your athletic performance.

On New Years morning around 200 happy souls will race, run or jog around the local area of Great Ayton and feel invigorated at having done so.

I think deep down that you would like to come and join us. Come on be brave the first step is the hardest; despite your previous ramblings you will be welcomed.

With Love
    Trog

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Dear Antisocial

I can only surmise that your comments throughout this thread are motivated by hate, jealousy or fear.

These are three of the most negative thoughts that can hinder not only your passage through life but your athletic performance.

On New Years morning around 200 happy souls will race, run or jog around the local area of Great Ayton and feel invigorated at having done so.

I think deep down that you would like to come and join us. Come on be brave the first step is the hardest; despite your previous ramblings you will be welcomed.

With Love
    Trog
    Dear Trogsy

Possibly the other 2 , not fear.

My brother and I occasionally compete against each other, he beating me on the road and I beating him on the fell. 2 years ago just before he was posted away from Redcar and the "fell" area of the NYM, we entered the CC race, I was ill (like now, why do I always get bugs at xmas) and coming back from yet another prolonged bout of injury, however as I am a better climber and descender than him I fancied my chances. Imagine my shock and horror then when the race commenced on road, then miles of flattish track with a couple of bits of muddy uphill, then a plateau of flagstones, a short descent on good track, miles more of downhill on road and then a cross country route through woods and fields.

He beat me by a long shot and has since retired from fell racing on the grounds that now he has beat me he never needs to fell race again and moved to the challenging hills of Oxford. I of course protested that the race bore no relation to a true fell race (which he damn well knows).

Therefore it is in my interest to vilify said race cos there is no way I am going to allow my brother to get away with CC as being his last "fell" race.

All I need is for a few forumites like yourself to say nice race but not really a fell one then I can get my rematch hopefully sometime in the next 3 weeks when he comes back on leave from Afghanistan (if his wife lets him).

If you really loved me you would do this for me

Love as always

Anti
    xxx
    Last edited by Antisocial; 31-12-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Hi Anti,

I hope your brother gets back safe and sound, and I say that as a former career soldier myself.

Now that you have provided a little more background information I can see your point.

As a social run out and to see in the New Year, yes the Cooks race is a great event, but not a purists fell race. If it started up the road at the station and went up to the monument and back it would be better from a fell runners point, but lose some of its appeal as a New Year Gathering.

Peace to all
    Trog

A heavy snow flurry just before the start but it stopped for the run itself.

It looked to be quite a good turnout despite the bad weather overnight.

Not much tarmac this year as it was all covered in snow and ice

I for one enjoyed ‘blowing the cobwebs’ away

It was a beautiful morning for the race as the snow fell, making the veiws all the more breathtaking, I never tire of looking across to the wainstones ridge whilst gasping for breath from near the top of the monument unfortunately had a stinker of a performance, but even that couldnt dampen the beauty of such an event, all the best to everyone