Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Recce??

Talking Ramsay Recce??

Just got back from a Tranters round attempt

Set off at 23:00 on Sunday night up the Ben, had to delay my start time due to the cloud level being down to about 500ft when I arrived.

By 23:00 the sky was clear and the forcast was good so I went for it.

A lot of the old snow had gone but there was a fair bit left in places, due to fresh powder covering this and any ice I had to keep crampons on while I was on the ridge even though at times I was on powder covered rocks.

Highlights included getting on to Anoach Mor where I had to cut steps in the neve, the descent of Anoach Beag and getting on to the North ridge of Binnien Mor (front pointing up neve for 100ft)

The wind was very strong overnight, my face was going numb aproaching Anoach Mor but could not hang about getting my balaclava until I got out of the wind at the col.

Unfortunately the front that passed through on Sunday had put down a bit more snow than I was hoping for, on the Grey Corries it was no more than ankle deep but when I got on to the North ridge of Binnien Mor it was just below the knee in places.

It got dark just before the traverse out to An Gearanach (a ridge I'd never been on before) first rock step was ok but the rest of the ridge was covered by at least a foot of powder, finding the best line was extremely time consuming not to mention nerve racking, a couple of times I was hand traversing while my crampons were skidding on sloping rocks, it felt like I was burning my bridges as I went along, not to mention I was starting to feel the cold as I had been slowed down.

It was an easy decision to descend down to Glen Nevis, I'd taken 18:46 to get to An Gearanach, it would be four hours until I got back to the car, no matter how fast I went along the road my hands stayed cold, the car thermometer read -8, that explained a lot!

Took a long time to warm up in the bunkhouse afterwards but wow what a trip that was
    Bill

Re: Ramsay Recce??

Nice one Bill Of such days are epics made.

It seems like Ramsay recces need to be done the summer before any attempt as there is such a short window of opportunity each year when the route is free of snow early enough to recce and still have some time to taper/recover before the attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Nice one Bill Of such days are epics made.

It seems like Ramsay recces need to be done the summer before any attempt as there is such a short window of opportunity each year when the route is free of snow early enough to recce and still have some time to taper/recover before the attempt.
    Sounds fun Bill, Excellent stuff.

This coming week end was one of Shane's dates for an attempt on the Winter RR record.

Re Tranter, We've been planning an attempt but (and I don't know) I though the Tranter went A/C or is that up to the attemptee.

I thought it was either way re the Tranter. Most I've heard have (Like Petestack's) give Ben first. I think I'd go Ben first, it's an easier finish once you come to Am Bodach.

Anyway great attempt Bill. Been a brilliant winter so far.

It seems like Ramsay recces need to be done the summer before any attempt
    Thats what I'm thinking as well, can't find best lines when its covered under snow

This coming week end was one of Shane's dates for an attempt on the Winter RR record.

Re Tranter, We've been planning an attempt but (and I don't know) I though the Tranter went A/C or is that up to the attemptee
    Not looking good for this weekend, could do with another thaw then a freeze to get rid of all the powder, it had snowed again overnight on Monday plus strong winds forecast next few days that'll be forming windslab.

Doesn't matter which way round you do it but I'm thinking about A/C myself now.

Good luck on your attempt

Anyway great attempt Bill. Been a brilliant winter so far
    I know it been fantastic so far. Last Friday would have been perfect for a big round in Scotland, unfortunately I was working
    Bill

Just as an afterthought Bill, IainR, what did/are you wearing on your feet bootwise. Frontpointing fellshoes is a bit tricky as I found out last year on a Ramsey recce, thank god I had an axe with me...

We've just been up in Torridon for the week and were OK without any crampons as only small patches of Neve were left. I found that with one axe and kicked in with Walshes I was OK. We have the dogs with us so try and avoid steep snow banks though.

Pics should come up over the next few days on here:

http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Just as an afterthought Bill, IainR, what did/are you wearing on your feet bootwise. Frontpointing fellshoes is a bit tricky as I found out last year on a Ramsey recce, thank god I had an axe with me...
    Highlanders a size larger than normal with sealskinz and "mountaineering" weight socks, Kahtoolas (steel now blunt ) for crampons.

Yes frontpointing is more tiring than in boots, I was "frontpointing" on scoops in the snow to get more grip, still got a bit of calf burn going on to Binnien Mor North ridge but was worth it.

One thing I thought was if I'd had something with metal studs I might have been able to take the crampons off after the Anoachs and Binnien Mor, might have been less tiring than keeping the crampons on all the time.
    Another thing was at a lower level there was no snow but lots of ice but I removed my crampons so had to do lots of diversions or take it easy.

More neve at a lower altitude would have been better mind

I've got a few photos I'll put up tonight.
    Bill

Here's some photos
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Here's some photos
    Fantanstic
    Last edited by Ady In Accy; 07-01-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Spelling gremlins