Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham Round 2009

Bob Graham Round 2009

I would like to do the Bob Graham Round with in 2009. I'm looking for a group to do it with. Maybe there is a club I could join to do it with?

I'm 42 and reasonably fit to start with, but mainly from extensive cycling (up hills as much as possible). I started running again in October with a possible BGR in mind. Family commitments mean I do most of my training solo. I could do a few weekend days, but weekdays also possible as work is reasonably flexible.

I live in Chester, so most of my hill running training is going to be in North Wales for ease of access. I intend to keep the cycling up as I think it helps the legs recover from running and provides additional training with no injury risk.

I am reasonably familiar with the Lakes having done a lot of walking there over the years, but don't have intimate knowledge of the BG route on the ground.

Any info on where else to ask very much appreciated.

Re: Bob Graham Round 2009

Duncan

From Chester, I'd suggest getting in touch with Macclesfield Harriers. I know there's a group of experienced BG people there who could give you a lot of help.

Good luck, perhaps see you up on the route in June!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan_harris View Post
    I would like to do the Bob Graham Round with in 2009. I'm looking for a group to do it with. Maybe there is a club I could join to do it with?

I'm 42 and reasonably fit to start with, but mainly from extensive cycling (up hills as much as possible). I started running again in October with a possible BGR in mind. Family commitments mean I do most of my training solo. I could do a few weekend days, but weekdays also possible as work is reasonably flexible.

I live in Chester, so most of my hill running training is going to be in North Wales for ease of access. I intend to keep the cycling up as I think it helps the legs recover from running and provides additional training with no injury risk.

I am reasonably familiar with the Lakes having done a lot of walking there over the years, but don't have intimate knowledge of the BG route on the ground.

Any info on where else to ask very much appreciated.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I'll point you at my BG pages : http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/run/bob_graham.htm and the BG24 club site: http://ww.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=home - Morgan (BGSec) posts on here as well.

There's a full set of detailed notes on my site (and lot more!) but ask away if anything isn't clear, plenty of experience on here

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by duncan_harris View Post
    cycling ... provides additional training with no injury risk.
    You haven't seen how some of the people round here ride their bikes...

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I read this thread title very quickly and mis-read it as the Bob Harris Round. (Posted by duncan harris you see)
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Hi Duncan
    are you the lad i spoke to at the velodrome on saturday night ? about fellrunning and the BG.
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    Hi Duncan
    are you the lad i spoke to at the velodrome on saturday night ? about fellrunning and the BG.
    DH
    No. I'm quite old for a "lad"!

Duncan

I am a member of the South Cheshire Harriers based in Nantwich near Crewe. We have members that have completed the bob graham and are quite active on road and in the fells. We have a member who is planning to complete the BG this year, with this we are making visits up there to recce each leg. To find out more about our club visit www.southcheshireharriers.org.uk

Hope this helps, maybe see you soon.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rowlands View Post
    I am a member of the South Cheshire Harriers based in Nantwich near Crewe. We have members that have completed the bob graham and are quite active on road and in the fells. We have a member who is planning to complete the BG this year, with this we are making visits up there to recce each leg. To find out more about our club visit www.southcheshireharriers.org.uk

Hope this helps, maybe see you soon.
    Good luck.
    Thanks. I saw a few of your members at the Helsby half marathon on Sunday.
    I am interested in finding out more about your BG recce's and the attempt. Please give me some contact details if possible. I couldn't see anything on your web site to get me started.

We meet at the Vagrants Rugby club near Nantwich every Tuesday and Thursday evening at 7.00. You could email this guy: [email protected] to find out a bit more about the club and join if you want to.