Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism & Ultradistance

Vegetarianism & Ultradistance

I am increasingly eating a non meat diet with little fish.
    A question to all vegetarian runners who also do Ultras/high mileage: Have you any advice ? Websites to visit? Thanks
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Re: Vegetarianism & Ultradista

Do you mean as a protein supplement Alf or just recipe ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    I am increasingly eating a non meat diet with little fish.
    A question to all vegetarian runners who also do Ultras/high mileage: Have you any advice ? Websites to visit? Thanks
    Key thing is mineral intake - but don't just take tablets to supplement your diet. You can get superfood mixes (containing things like spirulina) which you may not like the taste of first time you try them(!) but quickly get used to them.

I'll post some links later.

Cheers Pilgrim.
    Emmi , i'm not sure really , i'm new to it , i suppose i just think i won't get enough protein which is prob crazy. I also read that i may need to take Zinc supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    Cheers Pilgrim.
    Emmi , i'm not sure really , i'm new to it , i suppose i just think i won't get enough protein which is prob crazy. I also read that i may need to take Zinc supplement.
    You probably need less protein than you think (unless you're still growing) and with a carefully thought out vegetarian/vegan diet you can get all the nutrition you need. The pale, washed out veggies you sometimes see haven't got it right!

Super Moderator

Alf, I wouldn't wory too about your veggie with a bit of fish diet. I lived off very similar for years and although I didn't run then I was playing 5-a-side, mountain biking in the Peak and doing plenty of hill walking and was fit and well. I'm thinking about going back to a similar regime (he said having just finished a large corned-beef sandwich!)

Lola

Alf,

I've been a fish eating veggie since about 1993 and only used supplements if I've been working in Africa on a really restricted diet. They key appears to be eating a broader variety of food items to mazimise all your nutrients; in truth you will probably do this naturally in search of new flavours to replace meat and animal products. Emmi is probably right on the money when she asked about recipes, the more recipes you are happy with the broader and better will be your diet.

Ultra races, I've even had veggie freeze dried meals made for me by BCB that were nut free (my team mate had a severe allergy) and we had no issues with energy or such.

Overall, its not a big deal - enjoy.

Cheers Lola , Pilgrim and Derby Tup.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Do you mean as a protein supplement Alf or just recipe ideas??
    nope he means no meat

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Alf,

I've been a fish eating veggie since about 1993 and only used supplements if I've been working in Africa on a really restricted diet. They key appears to be eating a broader variety of food items to mazimise all your nutrients; in truth you will probably do this naturally in search of new flavours to replace meat and animal products. Emmi is probably right on the money when she asked about recipes, the more recipes you are happy with the broader and better will be your diet.

Ultra races, I've even had veggie freeze dried meals made for me by BCB that were nut free (my team mate had a severe allergy) and we had no issues with energy or such.

Overall, its not a big deal - enjoy.
    Wow me and you have the same diet trends LOLa. I
    Food and Bikes. Now that would make for an interesting dinner conversation .
    Just say the word