Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hpm: 2009

Re: Hpm: 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    if i get up there this wk end i'll keep an eye out for your will to live (and mine i suspect)
    HPM aside it is a lovely valley to run up and usually very quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    I have tried it and it takes longer than the watershed route.
    Yiannis
    cheers yiannis

It was very busy out there today. I ran from Cutthroat Bridge to Snake Summit with Mitts, and we were followed by Stolly and about five or six others (who were they?). Very wet under foot, and quite breezy, but clear.

I was surprised how different the route seems in daylight, my only previous time on most of it being in last year's race. There were fewer bogs than I remember, but the bog monster still managed to grab me by the leg once and Mitts a couple of times.

Hoping our team will get a run on March 6th/7th even though our entry was rejected. All it needs is for a few teams to drop out.
    Last edited by Marvin; 25-01-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    It was very busy out there today. I ran from Cutthroat Bridge to Snake Summit with Mitts, and we were followed by Stolly and about five or six others (who were they?). Very wet under foot, and quite breezy, but clear.

I was surprised how different the route seems in daylight, my only previous time on most of it being in last year's race. There were fewer bogs than I remember, but the bog monster still managed to grab me by the leg once and Mitts a couple of times.

Hoping our team will get a run on March 6th/7th even though our entry was rejected. All it needs is for a few teams to drop out.
    Marvin I don't suppose you had a garmin on did you? If so what height and distance roughly? I think it was about 19 miles but no idea of height. Going up and down some of those frigging 'bog dunes' would have added a 1000 ft I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Marvin I don't suppose you had a garmin on did you? If so what height and distance roughly? I think it was about 19 miles but no idea of height. Going up and down some of those frigging 'bog dunes' would have added a 1000 ft I'm sure
    If I knew you were both up there I'd have walked up. Distances along the edge are very deceiving due to the constant walking around the bogs. there is a dryish line though Bleaklow but it notoriously difficult to follow.

My GPS said 18.5 miles at the finish, but when I got home and downloaded the route to Tracklogs, it was showing 18.0 and 2300ft ascent. My GPS doesn't give an ascent figure, and the trouble with the figure off the mapping software is that it's based on a three dimensional model that doesn't take account of the "small" features that we were going in and out of all the time, and involves a lot of averaging. I've tried retaining the height data from the GPS, but can't get the total ascent recorded on the GPS from the mapping software, and even if I could, it probably wouldn't be very accurate anyway as the trackpoints from today's run were on average 45 ft apart.

Stolly, if you want a copy of the track (gpx or trl format) PM me your email address. If you haven't got any mapping software, I can send you an image.

We first saw you around Outer Edge and then expected you to overhaul us, but we now realise you were taking advantage of our navigational skills.

So who else was out there today? We bumped into someone at Bleaklow Head who was running home to Edale from Holmfirth. Who were you?
    Last edited by Marvin; 25-01-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Going up and down some of those frigging 'bog dunes' would have added a 1000 ft I'm sure
    You wait until you experience them in the dark - an even bigger adventure. Today was a walk in the park in comparison!

We first saw you around Outer Edge and then expected you to overhaul us, but we now realise you were taking advantage of our navigational skills.
    that sounds familiar?

So who else was out there today? We bumped into someone at Bleaklow Head who was running home to Edale from Holmfirth. Who were you?
    Ben Robson. He was around here last night route planning a run from Holmfirth to Edale.

Master

We did the Cut Throat to Snake Pass section a week ago, and my altimeter said 811m ascent.