Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Mountain Marathons

Scottish Mountain Marathons

My link for mountain marathon partners has gone quiet and I'm still looking for someone to run the Highlander and LAMM with. Anyone out there?

Also would like to hear anyone's stories of these events.

Stef

Re: Scottish Mountain Marathon

you could try scottish hill runners site they have a forum on i think. dave http://www.shr.uk.com/

Hi Stef,

Yes, if you post a message on the SHR forum that might get some response. If you have any problems with the registration process, then just pm me.

Malcolm

Thanks Guys

I've put a post on the site.

Just back from a muddy 14 miles. I always forget how tough marathon training is in the early days. Ho hum!

Stef

Hello ... would possibly like to team up for a mountain marathon ... on the plus side i have a fair amount of fell-running exp (Edale Skyline, Wasdale etc) and live in Hove ... on the downside am V45, and haven't done a MM yet. ??? Ian

Mossy

Which part of being a V45 is down? Will you be needing a zimmer frame or walking stick Not sure I can manage two rucksacks!

Stef

That's ok ... as long as you can carry my zimmer on the descents, it should be fine

Zimmer only permitted if it has whisky in the legs!

Are you fit enough for a 16 mile run?

Could meet you half way somewhere in the South Downs next weekend? Chance to show off your map reading skills! Not sure about taking a novice to Highlander - seriously big hills and potentially nasty weather.

Stef

Fair enough ... But would be free for a Downs run this Fri, Sat or Sunday – have Vets XC champs the following weekend ... then free the weekend after that ... training for the edale skyline and 3 peaks any road. Maybe i should be looking at one of the Sept MMs?? Ian ([email protected])

Hi Stef,

You must be the lady that turned up at Wide Lane last year wearing a Rab T-shirt! - I'm sure there aren't many at Southampton RC who do this sort of thing. I'll try to say hi on a Tuesday night if I see you (not sure if I can do speedwork tonight, I think my legs aren't up to it right now). I moved down here about 9 months ago and have been mainly failing to run on even such hills as the south hath, so I've made it my goal for the new year to at least make the most of what there is here (eg. I still haven't even been across the Solent yet, so I'll try to do the September races there at least).

If you're still looking for MM partners, I've wanted to do the LAMM for a while and not found anyone to do it with, so I'd certainly be interested in that. I could also try to find out if any of the SOC (orienteers) lady members are interested (I'm M35). Highlander - Scottish Highlands in April - , will have to think about that, I'll need a warmer sleeping bag (and definitely get some more training in). I'm not really a beginner (just not very good - have done Rab, Saunders, Capricorn, Phoenix, and the kids and pensioners' course at the Mountain Trial - remains to be seen if I can get fit enough to do it properly this year).

Ian - if you'd like to break yourself in gently (although running the Wasdale race suggests this is not your style!), a great place to start would be the Capricorn or Phoenix events - just like MMs, except the midway camp is at the start, so you don't have to worry about getting there on day 1 (unless you get completely lost!) or carrying your tent and food etc. And you can do these on your own. You can also use local orienteering events for navigation practice. If you're interested in the Rab in September I'll very likely see you there (I'm not sure I can really plan that far ahead though).

Anyway - 16 miles in the South downs sounds great to me. May I come along too?