Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Tvedt video

Jon Tvedt video

Here is a link to avideo which is a tribute to Jon Tvedt who died tragically whilst out on a training run last week in poor weather conditions

http://www.nopesport.com/news/1198-j...-tribute-video

Jon Tvedt was well known in Norway, particularly in the endurance running community. As well as being a top orienteer in the 1990s (5 x Norwegian Champion at Ultra Long distance, 4th at WOC classic distance 1993, Nordic Champion in 1993) Jon went on to become a true legend in mountain racing in Norway and internationally. In 2008 he was still near his peak in mountain racing, only narrowly beaten at Skaala by 2008 (and multiple) World Mountain running Champion Jonathan Wyatt and winning just about every other race in Norway.

Re: Jon Tvedt video

good spot epocian, thats a great shame, didn't know he'd been killed. especially a shame since the wmra series is going to skaala this year.

Awful news, did Skaala myself last year and aye Wyatt only beat him by 18 seconds.

Be a big blow to Norway, since mountain running took off over there he had developed into a biggish star.

A shame - sure there will be some tribute towards him in this years race.

Jon Tvedt will be sadly missed and he will always be a true legend in Norway. He was such an inspiration for so many at all levels of the sport.

Over 700 people turned up to a tribute race UP 'Stoltzekleiven', a 325 metre hill/mountain near his home town Bergen last Saturday.

Although Wyatt won Skåla last year, Jon Tvedt is known as 'Mr Skåla' and it won't be the same race without him. There will surely be some sort of tribute towards him in this years race.

Fittingly, The Great Man's course record Up Skåla will stand forever as a new path at the start will make the race an estimated 2 minutes quicker.

I was not able to open the link to the Video posted by Epocian so here is another link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVXp...Fforsiden&mid=

Thanks Erik,
    I had similar problems with Epocian's link. What were the circumstances of this sad loss?

A Norwegian friend of mine mentioned this. I subsequently found a link which mentioned a combination of cold and exhaustion as the possible cause. I'll see if I can track down the link(s) later.

Thanks Rob. It's not that I'm morbid. But I find it more prudent to learn from other people's mishaps than go and have mishaps of my own. And if someone of Jon Tvedt's caliber can succumb to a given set of conditions, then how much more careful should the rest of us be.

Jon Tvedt was with his brother and another training partner on one their usual training runs around ‘Gullfjellet’, a 987 meter peak close to Bergen when he was not able to carry on running.

It could have been a heart attack, but the exact reason why he had to stop has not been reported so I suppose we should not speculate too much about it.

The weather was very bad and there was no mobile signal so his brother had to run for help while the other friend stayed with Jon Tvedt.

Jon Tvedt was dead when the rescue party arrived a couple of hours later.

His brother and training partner both escaped with no major physical injuries.

The other youtube video I came across was this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HjY-iLSWasA

It was sent to me by a peakbagging friend, Petter Bjorstad who lives on the slopes of Gullfjellet and climbs it frequently, so it was all rather close to home for him, literally.

These were his comments at the time: We have a local race here in town, vertical is 314 meter, distance is 900 meter. Jon set a world record here age 29 in 8:13, as late as last year (age 41) he ran in 8:19, nobody else is NEAR him. (I have done it in about 13:30, but that was when I was younger..) The time above is an average of .64 vertical meter per second, now the first part of this race is "fairly flat".. Very FEW runners do this course in less than 10 minutes..

The cause of death is not clear yet, it may have been a sudden rupture of a blood vessel in the brain or perhaps one of this rare and unpredictable heart failures.. He was out training with his one year younger brother. He leaves behind 3 young children (and no mother!). The oldest, a 12 year old girl, said that she hoped she one day could run as her father at the memorial."

BTW the scenery on these vidoes is stunning !!

Rob

Thanks for the links about John. I filled up watching the short film plus some of the other films about him.

An orienteering friend also tells me he was very highly regarded in that world, his performances and training "legendary".

A sad loss of this athlete.