Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inov8s irritating tendons

Inov8s irritating tendons

Anyone else had a problem with Inov8 (330s) rubbing against the tendon on big toe? It started off as nothing but now there's a definite lump on the tendon which is restricting me on downhills.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of how to solve this? Would Walshes be better perhaps?
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Re: Inov8s irritating tendons

my 330's have given me endless problems - my big toes have great big blood blisters on them which are really attractive!! My achilles really hurt after wearing them too

have you stayed the same shoe size when you bought them? I ask because all my other innov8's are a 7.5 but the 330's felt huge so i opted for a 7 (my normal shoe size is a 6) i'm not sure if this is why I have had all the problems i have had with these shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    my 330's have given me endless problems - my big toes have great big blood blisters on them which are really attractive!! My achilles really hurt after wearing them too

have you stayed the same shoe size when you bought them? I ask because all my other innov8's are a 7.5 but the 330's felt huge so i opted for a 7 (my normal shoe size is a 6) i'm not sure if this is why I have had all the problems i have had with these shoes?
    Thanks for replying Emmilou I thought I was the ONLY person to have had any problems!!

Shoe size...how that's interesting, I wonder whether that's it?

Was trying to work it out this weekend. After a 21 mile run in the Lakes on Saturday, I was in agony yesterday. The irritation appears to be caused by the stitching at the base of the tongue.

So I tried some Walshes on yesterday! Never had any before. And they SEEM to be the answer. Need to get out for a run later and test them on a downhill. Am really hoping they'll do the trick.

What do you think causes the bllod blisters Emmilou? Are they on the base of the toes? Had to do 2 miles downhill from the Three Shire Stone on road yesterday and it was noticeable how wrecked my toes felt by the time O got off-road again.

blog

Three things to try:

1. Hold the heels of the shoes over a steaming kettle for a few seconds. As soon as possible put the shoes on and walk around in them. Take them off and when they cool down they should be just right for your heel and you shouldn't have achilles problems.

2. Try wearing two pairs of socks if the shoes seem a bit big but cut the toes off the outer pair. Your shoes should fit snugly at the back and your big toe will have a bit more room.

3. Contact Ryan at Inov8 and ask for a pair of 3mm footbeds to replace the 6mm ones supplied.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Three things to try:

1. Hold the heels of the shoes over a steaming kettle for a few seconds. As soon as possible put the shoes on and walk around in them. Take them off and when they cool down they should be just right for your heel and you shouldn't have achilles problems.
    Interesting you say that Swoop....mine always feel better once I've waded through the first stream of the day and got them nice and wet!

blog

I left mine soaking in a cold bucket of water for days!! dried them out but stuffed them full of paper to stretch them. admittedly they aren't giving me the same pain as they were but if the studs weren't as worn down on the mudrocs as they are then I'd wear them everytime!

not sure about the blisters - they are on the outside of the big toe - same place you'd get a bunion!!

I noticed on a downhill though that although the grip is really good in them the toes are at the end of the shoe and there isn't as much room as the 7.5's BUT they also wobble on the heel too Another club member has the same problems - it feels like the shoe is going to come off if you get your foot stuck in a bog (which I do - EVERY run!!!)

i have only ever tried 1 pair of Walsh's - I didn't buy them as they just felt too narrow for me

not sure about the blisters - they are on the outside of the big toe - same place you'd get a bunion!!

i have only ever tried 1 pair of Walsh's - I didn't buy them as they just felt too narrow for me
    Update:

Emmilou...that's where I'd have expected to get a problem on the big toe but I haven't. My problem is on the top, rubbing against the tendon. Presumably you tape up etc to try and help? Must admit, it helped a bit for me but not a lot.

Understand what you mean about width with the Walshes...but they may be worth a go. Got out for an hour on local hills yesterday and they felt great. No rubbing on the tendon at all A pain-free run!! Also felt quite grippy on the steep bits. They are very "minimal" with no cushioning but this does help you to "feel" the hill more than Inov8s do.

I'll be wearing my Walshes for a while I think....

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Update:

but they may be worth a go.
    No rubbing on the tendon at all A pain-free run!! Also felt quite grippy on the steep bits. They are very "minimal" with no cushioning but this does help you to "feel" the hill more than Inov8s do.

I'll be wearing my Walshes for a while I think....
    NO - I don't need any more reasons to buy new shoes
    <off to empty the kids piggy banks and copper up!!>

NO - I don't need any more reasons to buy new shoes
    <off to empty the kids piggy banks and copper up!!>
    Go on...you KNOW you want to. You could be wasting your hard-earned money on non-essential things like food, electric, phone bills etc. Much better to spend it on a pair of running shoes

I reckon if you go for the PB Extreme, the yellow and black will go VERY nicely with your green top

blog

Post Re: Inov8s irritating tendons

I had massive problems initially with blisters. My feet take a size 9 shoe but I have an H fitting in width which means I usually have to wear a size 10.5 and I found that as soon as i stepped up to a size 11 I no longer had any pains. Not really experienced in the matter but I would say the void at the front of my shoe has stopped the blisters and gives me better purchase uphill as long as I tie them tight roud the ankle. Not had any problems in about a year and a half now, fingers crossed.