Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many sessions a week?

How many sessions a week?

I wonder how many sessions the majority of mid pack runners are doing a week? Obviously quality is really important, I realise that. At present I'm managing to get one track session done and a long run of about 2hrs. The other 2 sessions include a steady state run of an hour then a intensive cycling session. The trouble is I planned to do at least 5 sessions per week but life keeps getting in the way. I'm feeling really dissatisfied and so thought a reality check with the rest of the world might do me good. Is this a normal existence for the majority of weekend warriors who are running for personal success?

Guess this is a bit of a personal therapy session!

Julie

Re: How many sessions a week?

Currently - None.

The most ive ever done is 4 a week, but usually it was twice a week. My legs are rubbish at recovery so that why i ran so little.

Quote Originally Posted by Baaarby View Post
    personal therapy session!
    I wouldn't ask for that on this forum. The're useless.

This is an interesting one. Some people thrive off high mileage whilst others do better on really low mileage because they feel it helps with recovery between training sessions. I guess the number of training sessions / miles people do is all down to personal preference and what your goals and ambitions are. There is no right or wrong answer really!!!
    I am currently training for the Three Peaks in April and therefore trying to follow a schedule similar to a marathon...but with more off-road runs and plenty of hills. However it's difficult trying to stick to any sort of plan because my work and family commitments often get in the way. I used to get frustrated and feel guilty if I missed a session but now I just accept that whilst running is my passion it is important to balance it with everything else i do in life.

My usual week when in full flow looks like this

Mon - Cycle to and from work - 30miles+5 mile run
    Tues - 3 mile run + 45 min Track Session
    Wed - Cycle to and from work - 30miles+5 mile run
    Thurs - 3 mile run + 45 min Hill Session
    Fri - 3 Hours on the bike or 3 Hours fell running
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Long run approx 15-25 Miles depending on what I'm training for.

I improved a lot though last year from this amount of training, just getting back up to speed now and increasing mileage and time spent recceing the BG Route ready for June. I try to fit training in around my normal day. The cycling to and from work has been quite useful, I only have to get up twenty minutes earlier in a morning and I'm twenty minutes later home so it works well. Plus I'm quite lucky that we have a changing room with shower at work so I can run at lunch times as well.

I usually do 4 sessions per week, unless training for a long distance event such as a marathon.

This will usually include a speedwork/track session, a medium length tempo run and a long run. On top of this I'll throw in short easy run or hill session depending on how I'm feeling.

I try to do as much as this in the hills as possible, (this is not easy when you live as far away from them as I do) and will make at least two of the runs offroad.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    I wouldn't ask for that on this forum. The're useless.
    Dead right Milli!

The question is, are you training because you enjoy training and is racing just a social event at weekends, or are you training to improve your fell racing performances? The two options possibly offer two very different answers?

Depends how I'm feeling but usualish week

m: steady run 7-10 miles fell or road
    t: hill reps, 8.5 miles, 1500ft
    w: steady run 6-10 miles fell or road
    t: lunch: track session, ~20 mins of efforts, 5x4mins etc, eve: 5-8 mile fell run
    f: rest, normally climb
    s: race
    s: long run in the hills

Generally 45-55 mile weeks with 2000m to 3500m ascent. If I'm tired or racing lots I drop either the hill reps or track work.

Normally train six days a week and have one rest day, but sometimes run on that but make it a slow run. Sometimes get 2 sessions in a day if i run or cycle to work. Its usually go as i feel for me, never becomes a bind that way and its always enjoyable Trial and error really, if you find something that works, stick to it!!!
    Hills and Guinness!

I'm training for the high peak marathon - 42 miles over nightmare terrain in almost certain crap weather with 2/3rd done in the dark - so I'm trying to up my mileage. Last week I ran 9 on Sunday, 6 fast on Tuesday (with some sprints), 24 on Thursday (3 peaks recce) and 10 and a bit on Saturday. This week not quite there yet with 7 on Sunday, 6 yesterday afternoon and 6.5 this lunchtime. Hoping to do 20 on Sunday.