Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many sessions a week?

Re: How many sessions a week?

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
    This is spot on. I'm running once a week right now (2 hours + in the hills) and cycling to and from work three or four times. It's not getting me much fitter, but I'm definitely not losing much.
    Not sure I agree MM, you're a nippy bloke so that "stealth" running must be working for you!

But I've just signed up for Edale Skyline, so I'm going to be replacing the bike commute with running and adding another short weekend run.
    Wot, no bike? How will you manage?

My ha'pence worth - I started doing more sessions (from 3 runs to 5/6 runs per week) when I began to prepare for a road mara a couple of years back. Definitely improved my fitness/strength/ability, even though some of the sessions weren't particularly structured or that long (e.g. quick 20mins blast).

Adding these "filler" days paid off in the long term though.

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Not sure I agree MM, you're a nippy bloke so that "stealth" running must be working for you!

Not sure how it works, but the bike commute is definitely helping with the long stuff - chuffed after Tanky's and Langdale.

Giant's Tooth and Lamb's Longer Leg nearly killed me though! Need more of the short blast runs.

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Wot, no bike? How will you manage?

I reckon running will still be quicker than getting the bus!

Are you going to get some hill reps in on the Eiffel Tower?

Are you going to get some hill reps in on the Eiffel Tower?
    Now THERE'S and idea.....

Not sure the wife would approve!

Just checked - you can only walk up to the 2nd level (115metres). Lift to the top after that.

Bizarrely enough, was in Blackpool yesterday and saw the tower there. Small world...

For what it's worth, my training goes like this: I do a speed session weekly and also at least one long run - sometimes two if I'm building up for an AL. But it's important to run fast as well. Ideally a speed endurance session a couple of times a month. Leg strength comes from running in the hills and mud and from competing in fell races / orienteering events. For me, pb attempts on my time trial routes really seem to boost my race performance, but I have to get in shape with the basic stuff first. I need to enjoy my training too, so apart from my speed session it's all off road in the hills and woods. Running with the club once a week gives that competitve edge and group runs can turn into ad hoc fartlek sessions. There are always people willing to push up the hills and race the run in. It's all good.
    My weekly plan goes:
    Mo = steady 7 - 8m hilly
    Tu = speed session on roads e.g. 6 x 4min efforts, 10 x 2min efforts. ~6m with warm up/down
    We = club run hilly / fartlekky 8 - 10m
    Th = rest
    Fr = speed endurance hilly 10m or long run hilly 14 - 18m (shorter if racing at w/e)
    Sa = rest unless racing, which means run on Th, rest on Fr, steady on Su.
    Su = fell race / orienteering / long run hilly 22 - 25m
    But the plan doesn't always become reality.

Baaarby, I don't think it matters if you miss a session or two. As long as you get the basic stuff in (speed / strength / endurance) you will do well. Find out what works for you and concentrate on that if you miss sessions.
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

I think the original question was asking about how much people manage to do to remain reasonably fit and in the midpack of races rather than specifically what they do.

I am currently training for an April marathon and my plan on paper is 3 runs midweek and a long run Saturday then fells on sunday.

Half the time i only manage 2 of the 3 midweek runs and more often than not i do nowt on a Sunday.

I have managed a 3hr marathon on just 2 runs a week (but also crawled round one in 3.5hours on one run per week).
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Christ some of these figures are mind blowing ... i wonder how many miles are "junk" miles ? If you are still enjoying it i suppose nothing to worry about.
    I'm doing about 2 runs a week,one flat (10k) and a hilly run (6-8 mile).
    Won't drop off pace to much doing that,feel i can compete fairly well just doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    Christ some of these figures are mind blowing ... i wonder how many miles are "junk" miles ? If you are still enjoying it i suppose nothing to worry about.
    Won't drop off pace to much doing that,feel i can compete fairly well just doing that.
    I suppose it depends what races you are training for. For instance I wouldn't stand much chance of getting round many of the long races in the calender on your training. But it would probably suffice for a lot of the mid week races I do in the summer. I suppose you tailor your training to your requirements. I tend to get a couple of runs in on somedays because its helps with my endurance. But I do plan to do a couple of ultras in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    I see it more as weight control
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009