Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What not to eat

What not to eat

.....the night before and morning of a race.

This may have been covered before so im sorry for wasting a thread.

Ive heard dairy products are a no-no, and even fruit juice - dont know why.

But what other things should i avoid before a race.

Ta.

Re: What not to eat

If you have been regularly running on a morning and all has been OK then I would eat whatever you have been eating up to now.

Personally I like a big curry the night prior to a big run.
    For breakfast I have the same every single day - cereal with milk and toast with banana as well as cuppa tea and glass of OJ. If i cant be arsed to get up early enough to digest all this on a race day then i skip the cereal and make sure i carry a gel or two.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Banned

It's a personal thing Al.
    Just do what you think in training and record what works and what doesn't for you.

We're all different

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    .....the night before and morning of a race.

This may have been covered before so im sorry for wasting a thread.

Ive heard dairy products are a no-no, and even fruit juice - dont know why.

But what other things should i avoid before a race.

Ta.
    I try and stay away from any thing too heavy ie red meat. too much beer

For race mornings I have toast with honey and fresh juice (no dairy). if it takes me more than an hour to the start and it's a long race I'll have a bananna and energy drink on route but don't eat anything in the 1 hour up to the start.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I try and stay away from any thing too heavy ie red meat. too much beer

For race mornings I have toast with honey and fresh juice (no dairy). if it takes me more than an hour to the start and it's a long race I'll have a bananna and energy drink on route but don't eat anything in the 1 hour up to the start.
    I have to give it 2 hours or ill get nailed with a stitch.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

I have to give it 2 hours or ill get nailed with a stitch.
    Some advice reckon not to eat 4 hours before. I get up early on race day ususally and have a bowl of poroiidge, up to 3 hours before if it a long one, usually 4 before it a short one. (these are important races, some that don't really matter i just get up and have a bit of toast). Before race night I have a carbo heavy te with salad, usually a pasta dish.

Depending what you read and if you research there are serious studies on this, you should avoid spicey food such as curry and those with chilli in before a race. You should eat carbs but avoid those without nutritional value such a white race and many pasta brands going for the brown or wholemeal versions.

Try this http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s..._Nutrition.htm

It comes down to how good you want to be, if you want to be a decent plodder providing you keep within healthy eating guidelines you can eat more or less what you want and do ok.

If you want to be the best you can be you need to plan your diet v.carefully and I am sure there are nutrionists on here that can advise.

In my cycling days I was very obsessive about carbs and fat so much so I did not have chips for a yest a year and would send any food back that had butter in or was fried. (sometimes they don't state that they fry dishes on the menu). But it seemed to work. My diet is average now and I can tell the difference.

But have i not maybe go age on my size.

Like i can eat like a horse and never put weight on. I know one day my metabolism (spelling?) will slow down and ill develop a belly....

i read one article that some protein before an event is useful. this is more recent thinking so in a morning i have a meusli type cereal followed by scrambled eggs on toast and fresh orange juice and a coffee and if it is a long event i just munch on cereal bars and bananas up to the start. night before then eat a carbo loaded meal. you cant really go wrong with mashed potatoes or pasta.
    but basically if you are doing enough miles then just follow a seafood diet. every time you see food, eat it!! you can't go wrong if you are training hard and burning the calories. just make sure you record your weight and resting heart beat every morning as these are good pointers if you are overdoing or underdoing anything

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

But have i not maybe go age on my size.

Like i can eat like a horse and never put weight on. I know one day my metabolism (spelling?) will slow down and ill develop a belly....

Yes that will count, but is what of how much you put in that counts as well and will affect your performance. If you are serious about being as good as you can be you really need to read up on it and take advice

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Yes that will count, but is what of how much you put in that counts as well and will affect your performance. If you are serious about being as good as you can be you really need to read up on it and take advice
    Well i have a good diet anyway - never eat fast-food or any general crap.

I get more than my 5-a-day and i drink loads of water.

I cant be thinking about being 'good' at the moment as im still a novice and im still learning. I guess once ive had a few season i can start to think about my diet more seriously.

On the night of a race, i eat loads of potatoes, and in the morning i have 3x weetabix, and drink a sports drink, pint of water and a pint of cordial- and a nuun tablet.