Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springtime in Lakeland

Springtime in Lakeland

Has anyone had a go at this? Is the route a good one?

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/web_page.php?c=50&p=214
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Re: Springtime in Lakeland

I've done it a couple of times. First time was a lot tougher than the second because the route changes. I enjoyed both, though.

It looks a good one as a training run for the 3 peaks. I like the early starts for these LDWA events. With a following wind I can be back for lunch.

I've done it a couple of times and I like it better than Thats Lyth (which is still a nice run -I enjoyed it again yesterday) I think the advantage of Spring in to Lakeland is the extra climb (about 5000' compared to about 3000' at most for Lyth?) plus the fact that there is a greater proportion off road. You also get to cross or follow a few short stretches of race routes (Loughrigg, 3 Shires, Coniston) and the route generally feels more like a low level fell run as opposed to a trail run - I particularly like the stretch from Langdale to Coniston.

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    I've done it a couple of times and I like it better than Thats Lyth (which is still a nice run -I enjoyed it again yesterday) I think the advantage of Spring in to Lakeland is the extra climb (about 5000' compared to about 3000' at most for Lyth?) plus the fact that there is a greater proportion off road. You also get to cross or follow a few short stretches of race routes (Loughrigg, 3 Shires, Coniston) and the route generally feels more like a low level fell run as opposed to a trail run - I particularly like the stretch from Langdale to Coniston.
    It sounds good. You don't have the full race description do you, or have a map? I'm keen on doing a long one prior to the three peaks.

Mr short-racer is now a convert!

I dont have a map on the computer that I can post but I think you will be able to get one from the LDWA calendar if you follow enough links, or at least a full description. Basically from Ambleside its over the end of Loughrigg (as per Loughrigg and Silver Howe) but from the flat bit after the top fell gate you drop down to Loughrigg tarn, then down to the main road through a holiday lodge type park before crossing the Langdale road and following paths by the beck to Elterwater (village). Bit further up the valley then cut across to Little Langdale, crossing 3 Shires route about half a mile from the finish, across the slaters bridge, cross 3 Shires route again to climb over to High Tilberthwaite. Short road bit then up and across to join the Coniston route and reverse the first race section down to Coniston for tea and cake. From Coniston its up to Tarn Howes (with a bit of a drop back to the road if you like) and across and down to the Cumbria Way route which you follow in to Skelwith Bridge for more tea and cakes. A short steep bit of road then paths down near Skelwith Fold to the main Ambleside-Hawkshead road - this could be nasty but there are actually paths through the woods on the side for all but a few yards and its mostly downhill. At Clappersgate cross the main road then take the old Loughrigg/Silver Howe route back up on to the end of the fell, bit steep at this stage of the day and across by the larger tarn (not sure if its named on the map - as kids we all used to call it Lily Tarn) then down to rejoin the outward route close to where the steep tarmac road turns in to a rougher track (look out for the style on your left just past the white houses on your way out). From there its five minutes to more tea and cake at the finish. Its a really nice route, took me 5h10 last year, about 25minutes longer than Lyth if thats any help.

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    I dont have a map on the computer that I can post but I think you will be able to get one from the LDWA calendar if you follow enough links, or at least a full description. Basically from Ambleside its over the end of Loughrigg (as per Loughrigg and Silver Howe) but from the flat bit after the top fell gate you drop down to Loughrigg tarn, then down to the main road through a holiday lodge type park before crossing the Langdale road and following paths by the beck to Elterwater (village). Bit further up the valley then cut across to Little Langdale, crossing 3 Shires route about half a mile from the finish, across the slaters bridge, cross 3 Shires route again to climb over to High Tilberthwaite. Short road bit then up and across to join the Coniston route and reverse the first race section down to Coniston for tea and cake. From Coniston its up to Tarn Howes (with a bit of a drop back to the road if you like) and across and down to the Cumbria Way route which you follow in to Skelwith Bridge for more tea and cakes. A short steep bit of road then paths down near Skelwith Fold to the main Ambleside-Hawkshead road - this could be nasty but there are actually paths through the woods on the side for all but a few yards and its mostly downhill. At Clappersgate cross the main road then take the old Loughrigg/Silver Howe route back up on to the end of the fell, bit steep at this stage of the day and across by the larger tarn (not sure if its named on the map - as kids we all used to call it Lily Tarn) then down to rejoin the outward route close to where the steep tarmac road turns in to a rougher track (look out for the style on your left just past the white houses on your way out). From there its five minutes to more tea and cake at the finish. Its a really nice route, took me 5h10 last year, about 25minutes longer than Lyth if thats any help.
    Many thanks for all that. I'll get my map out tonight and have a good look.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Yup, it's Lily Tarn on the map. Funny, I'm sure I go that way on Tues nights with Ambleside AC and I've never noticed the tarn. Probably because I'm in severe oxygen debt!

Theres more than one - Lily tarn itself and a small stony tarn just before it as you approach along this route. Being Ambleside AC you should probably know a few good lines across this bit! It was my back yard when I was a lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Has anyone had a go at this? Is the route a good one?

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/web_page.php?c=50&p=214

I have this pencilled in to do,

just wondering if anyone planning on doing this Spring in Lakeland LDWA Challenge - coming up on April 5th?

I can do down hill