Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do to pass a horse

Question What do you do to pass a horse

Okay, so we have talked about dogs and they don't bother me too much, except for some farm dogs. Cows I can normally cope with but my big fear is horses.

Meeting a horse whilst out running means a big detour, or turning back but there is no way that I am going to happily pass any animal that big or with the temperament some horses seem to have. It doesn't matter whether they are in a field or being ridden, I am scared. Mind you, sometimes the riders are no better and seem to think that their animal should have priority over rights of way.

Is anyone else scared like me? Has anyone been unfortunate to have an incident with a horse(or rider)? What is the safest way to get past a horse and what should you do if a horse comes towards you in a field - leave by the nearest wall like me or just run on?

Re: What do you do to pass a h

What do you do to pass a horse

Senacott? Syrup of Figs? Courage?

Dunno.

Whydya eat it in the first place?!?

FB

Master

Never passed a horse but had a few windjammers
    The older I get the Faster I was

I have no advice on horses when running but that does remind me of an incident that happened someyears ago when I was on a clubrun (cycle)

A large group of us were riding through a village when we caught up a horse and rider. We slowed considerably as we always do, made the rider aware of our prescence and proceeded to pass giving a nice wide berth.

Unfortunately the horse wasn't happy with the situation and became rather jittery. Some of our group were a bit apprehensive and hung back whilst others continued past but even wider. The lady riding the horse was getting annoyed at the situation as she struggled to control the animal and obviously decided we were at fault. What she actually said was that the horse was bound to be frightened because we were all wearing such bright and varied colours!

You just can't win can you?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Master

Seriously i guess a wide berth cant do any harm, but then i have never really had a problem with horses.

Whatcha PeakPlodder,

Leg 4 this year's (or should that be "last" year's now) Calderdale relay went through a field (well, our route did) with a horse in it. Thing was playful and wanted to join in the fun, came trotting over to me and Grifter and clearly just wanted some attention. No probs if like us there's no hesitation or problem with said beasts, but being phobic for another (somewhat smaller )creature (...oh...and also the ex I guess) I can understand that the following advice might in practice be difficult for you to apply...

But ya gotta be confident. Make sure you keep at the head end (that's the bit of the horse that wants to eat you) and do not go anywhere near the thin waggly tail thing at the other end (you may get kicked if it gets startled). The horse(s) will undoubtedly only want some attention; they may think you have some food. Rest assured I know of no cases where a horse has eaten a fellrunner. Talk to the beast in reassuring tones...e.g. Hello ol'trigger. Keep you arms outstretched so you look bigger (this works very well on cows by the way where I do recommend shouting at said bovines). If you shout at a horse you'll probably have a desired effect (to start with) in that you'll likely startle it. Only thing, if you do startle it it'll turn and bound away a little...and to do so you end up at the wrong end so I don't recommend this approach. Just walk past the thing (if you run it may accompany you )

Above all, treat it as a blessing, this poor lonely creature wants you to stroke it's head. Think of it as a long lost lover (...oh, no, don't do this, it'll probably want to shoot you )

Okay then...yeah, fair enough - just avoid those fields then
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

When passing a horse always make sure you greet it in civil tones and offer your bum bag (unless you happen to be carrying a nose bag then that of course would be preferable). If the bum bag is accepted then you can engage in polite conversation, talk about the quality of oats and suchlike. If the bumbag is not accepted then tell it to f... off out of the way and proceed to your planned destination.

I hate running through fields with horses, Cows I don't mind they run off but horses follow and keep following. Even worse if they have a foal.

I nearly ran a horse over the other week in the car foggy less than 50m visabilty main road riding 2 a breast how clever is that good job my brakes work well (I drive a landrover has no servo just a foot and a pedal stopping is scary)

Master

Right i work with some folk that breed and keep Horses, so i asked them, and the answer was that if you don`t run they can`t chase you.

Although they went on to say that they would rather take there chances with a field of cows than a field of horses because a horse does not have the fear of humans that a cow does, and once 3 or 4 horses get it in there head that you could be a bit of fun there is a good chance you may get trampled or kicked.

I Know what i will be doing in future.

Master and MR

sugarlumps if they come towards you
    always works