Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newcomers and long races

Newcomers and long races

I recently looked at the Edale Skyline entry form and have seen that you need to list previous races. I can understand that the organisers need entrants to be capable of the distance otherwise they become a liability, but have does one get experience of a A race if you can't get an entry? I will never be a superstar in the world of fell running but have taken part in the Capricorn MM;the Kinder Long O several times; won a Polaris; completed a LDWA 20 miler and I'm an experienced orienteer. My initial reaction was may be a runner like myself has no place here but then are all those taking part 'whippets' or achieving personal challenges? Kinda frightened now even to apply. What do you reckon? Where do you start if you are looking to take part in a long race? Anyone got a race they recommend? I'm looking for a personal challenge.

Baaarby

Re: New comers and long races

Quote Originally Posted by Baaarby View Post
    I recently looked at the Edale Skyline entry form and have seen that you need to list previous races. I can understand that the organisers need entrants to be capable of the distance otherwise they become a liability, but have does one get experience of a A race if you can't get an entry? I will never be a superstar in the world of fell running but have taken part in the Capricorn MM;the Kinder Long O several times; won a Polaris; completed a LDWA 20 miler and I'm an experienced orienteer. My initial reaction was may be a runner like myself has no place here but then are all those taking part 'whippets' or achieving personal challenges? Kinda frightened now even to apply. What do you reckon? Where do you start if you are looking to take part in a long race? Anyone got a race they recommend? I'm looking for a personal challenge.

Baaarby
    I'm sure you'll get it in with those. just send Andy an entry and see what he says. The absolute worst is he'll say no! It's really more about runners who aren't use to distance and terrain. There are plenty of slower runners out there who have massive amounts of experience so get your entry in quick because there can't be many places left.

If you get in and you are still not sure come along to the recce on the 1st

Ian

I got in with less to boast of - you'd best get that entry sent off before it fills Up!

Looking forward to the reccee

Stef

Or fib

Re: Newcomers and long races

I tried the Grindleford Gallop to get some practice/experience .. it's over 20 miles and has some good climbs (Froggat edge) and you didn't need to list experience ... think it's in early march ... don't know if it's classed as a fell race though but it was a smashing race

Where do you start if you are looking to take part in a long race? Anyone got a race they recommend? I'm looking for a personal challenge.
    If it's training you're looking for, and qualifying races (although it sounds like you have done enough), I'd recommend the Long Mynd Valleys on 8th Feb. It's missing from the fixture list but is 11.5miles/4500ft (AM). It has a bit of everything - long enough, some navigation, on and off path running, steep descents and climbs. The two toughest climbs are late in the race and a good test of runners' mettle. Details on the Mercia website. Also previous threads.
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Or fib
    I was going to suggest that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Or fib
    STOLLY

Baaarb....

I'm sure you are more than capable and NO we are not all whippets and some Cat A races don't have a list of entry requirements.

Do as others suggest though and enter and see what the reply is before it fills up completely and that choice is taken away.

As Ian suggests if you're free on the 1st come to the recce and any myths about whippets and racing snakes will soon be dispelled!!

Barb, You'd be much better off ringing the race organiser and asking him direct - that's what I'd do if I were you. It sounds like you've probably got all the right experience, it's just not worded the way the form is.

Go on, give him a bell.

Baaarby
    Baaarby, when I did my first long fell race, I called the organiser and told him what my experience was. He said I would have no trouble making the cutoffs and if I didn't not to worry, as the marshals would be happy to wait for me!!! So I went and did it and was almost last, but it was a great experience and got my first long A race in the bag. It was only my second ever fell race mind...

So call the organisers and see what they say? I reckon with your experience you will be just fine!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi