Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inguinal hernia repair

Inguinal hernia repair

I had my r groin hernia done as an open procedure last thursday and was told no running for 4 weeks. I am allowed to swin from week 2. I can walk now with no probs but just wondered if anyone else had any experience of starting running again after this sort of op.
    phil

Re: Inguinal hernia repair

Quote Originally Posted by philgreen1968 View Post
    I had my r groin hernia done as an open procedure last thursday and was told no running for 4 weeks. I am allowed to swin from week 2. I can walk now with no probs but just wondered if anyone else had any experience of starting running again after this sort of op.
    phil
    Hi Phil

I had this done about 10 years ago on both sides. I started back playing footie after about a month, which to be fair was probably a bit too soon. I would have thought just running would be fine after a month. Although just gently to start with obviously !
    I'm just recovering from a knee op myself so know how frustrating not being able to run is ! They've told me 3 months before I cant impact running again !! Gutted !

Merry Christmas and by the New Year you will be raring to go.!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

cheers m8 hope you get well soon

Just read your recovery stories. I'd like to know how big your hernias were (after running) before you needed the op. & at what point did you see a Dr? Mine is 1 side only & like half a boiled egg by the end of a days skiing or walking or a 10k run. Thanks.

I've had inguinal hernias repaired on both sides. I'd suggest getting it repaired sooner rather than later as it's not going to go away, may end up getting larger and more uncomfortable and there is a risk of complications if a bit of bowel becomes trapped in the hernia. But of course the decision is up to you- probably worth seeing your GP so you can discuss this with them.

When I had the first one done 9open repair) about 10 years ago was told not to run for 10 weeks but was told could play rugby after 6 weeks
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

I had both sides done at the same time with the keyhole gauze repair method, although a bit sore for a few weeks I was able to complete the welsh 3000's 6 weeks later with no pain (well no pain in the hernia area)

Thanks for the advice, particularly re beer! I'm seeing my Dr here in the Alps after the New Year holiday & after the Trail Blanc (fell race all on snow) next weekend when I'm sure it'll be nicely swollen.
    Merry Xmas & thanks again.

A Fellrunning surgeons' tuppence worth:

A month is sound advice and what I advise most sporty people I see with a few exceptions e.g. body builders and rugby playing folk.

After 2 weeks gentle low impact exercise like swimming is fine. Gentle jog at a month and see what your body tells you. If it hurts still give it time. I think a long and pounding fell run ought to be put off for about 6 weeks and then only if you are relatively pain free.

Size of hernia is not that big an issue. The repair and recovery is the same if its done right.

Lots of studies comparing open vs keyhole surgery. Recurrence is about twice as high in keyhole (probably due to it being a new technique for a lot of people) roughly 1%. Pain and Recovery time is debated but I think is slightly better in keyhole (depends which paper you read). The one indisputable fact is you get a smaller scar with keyhole.

Annual Incarceration rate (getting stuck) is low and is more common in small tight hernias rather than big floppy ones.

I am yet to have a hernia repair myself and have no objective view point from the patient perspective.

Hope that helps and you have a speedy and uneventful recovery. The Mayo Hernia clinic website probably has loads of info on this.

What's the latest. You had it done?

I've been unlucky enought to suffer a different type of hernia, an epigastric hernia, twice. Mine strangulated (ouch!). I too was told the smaller the hernia the more chance of strangulation. Unfortunately my hernias have had to be repaired the old fashiohed way with stitches due to their small size and the recovery time for that is no exercise at all for 8 WEEKS!!!..so think yourself lucky!!

With the training I have not had problems following the recovery period and I've been told you can't really damage the repair once its healed, I think that is even more true for the mesh repairs used on larger hernias like the one you have. For me it has always been more about the psychological worry that I may do harm. But that passes quickly.

It's not really an option in the long run. You have to have it repaired as it won't heal itself. Now would be a good time while it's horrible winter outside and you won'te miss training so much. Take the recovery easy but if you follow what the surgeon says you should be fine. Its a really common procedure, usually day surgery, in and out in a flash!

Good luck.

Evening all,

Im pretty sure i have given myself a hernia after lifting some heavy boxes off a high shelf at work yesterday morning.

I ran home a steady 10k after work and things seemed ok.

Giving me a bit of discomfort today, dad (who has had several hernias) had a look and a prod and recons I should get to the quaks.

In the meantime im guessing its no running?

Were you guys still running before your operations?

G