Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Falling Over?

Good grief!!!

Hope you are better soon neilly, that sounds awful!!

Regardless, well done for doing the right thing, even though it cost you plenty.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Just back from AE after falling over yesterday. 20m from the car and I dodged out of the way of an old lady and her dog. Ended up with 15 stitches in my knee. There was a flap of skin hanging off exposing 4sq inches of flesh. Took them 2 hours to clean out all the debris. I'm now hobbling around like an old man. Not allowed to drive or bend it for a week. I'm going to go off my head. Great service from the local AE in Portree though. No waiting and very professional. I should have trampled the old lady.
    Neil
    Hard luck but at least you did the right thing avoiding the old lady. Sounds like a similar incident to the one I posted on here somewhere where I tried to avoid a young family and ripped my knee and arm to shreds. A few weeks off will do you no harm and maybe evdn a godsend given the current weather! Hope you are on the mend soon.

Post #73 has all the gory details....
    https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...oyal%20wedding

I seem to remember my optimism at being able to ride a bike afterwards was shortlived!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Post #73 has all the gory details....
    https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...oyal%20wedding

I seem to remember my optimism at being able to ride a bike afterwards was shortlived!
    Haha., Yes driving to AE was tricky for me too. Stuck it in second and hoped that nobody got in the way. They were pulling out all sorts- bark, gravel, twigs. Poking around for ages. The lidocaine had worn off after a while and it smarted! When they started stitching it up my son, who had come to drive me home, said I went a funny colour and looked like I was going to faint.

I once gashed my palm open on the descent from Scafell during Borrowdale. The only way I could stop the bleeding was to pick up a stone and hold it in my fist. After the finish it took a lot of juggling of bikes and campervan and lift from a friend to get to the A and E at Keswick. I'd previously rung to check they still had an A and E at the small cottage hospital. They were excellent in sorting me out and I mentioned not being sure if they were still open - the nurse said that they had been on the point of closure a year or two ago "and then people started mountain biking at Whinlatter" which had brought so much business the department was busier than ever and saved from closure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    ...They were excellent in sorting me out and I mentioned not being sure if they were still open - the nurse said that they had been on the point of closure a year or two ago "and then people started mountain biking at Whinlatter" which had brought so much business the department was busier than ever and saved from closure.....
    That's brilliant!

I paid them a visit a couple of years ago as well. I was marshalling on Hopegill Head at the DazH race and gashed my hand on a razor-sharp rock on Whiteside as I made my way up to my marshalling point. Patched myself up using almost all the marshal's first-aid kit until after the race (my wife was racing, so I made sure she couldn't see all the blood as she ran past!) As with you, the Cottage Hospital staff were great.

On a less positive note I dislocated a finger falling on Robinson on a TWA reccie in the snow. This apparently minor injury then involved a trip to the GP and no less than 3 hospital visits. Not to mention various permutations of driving, bikes, trains (try booking your bike on a train due 4 hours after your appointment, you might just make it). While waiting in the hospital I got talking to a cyclist who had crashed and broken his arm - he said last time he dislocated a finger he pulled it straight and taped it to a lolly stick for a week or so. Job done. I'd be tempted to do the same if it happens again.

I slipped and fell at this year's Mountain Trial and when I got up noticed one of my little fingers was sticking out at a funny angle. I assumed I'd dislocated it and a fellow competitor suggested pulling it straight. I did the best I could but it still looked quite misshapen. My hand was pretty swollen the following day so I ended up going to the Minor injuries clinic at Bury hospital to get it checked out. They said it was probably broken, taped it to the next finger and said to keep it taped up for a couple of weeks. I was in and out fairly quickly but I'd be tempted to tape it up myself if it happened again and not bother with a hospital trip.

So I'm still recovering from my latest fall a few weeks ago after running down the Pennine way off Black hill into Crowden. A mere 2k from the campsite, I bit the dust and ended up with a sprained wrist & shoulder, broken finger and various cuts, grazes and bruises. Largely healed now but the mental scars remain and I wonder if I will be able to run as hard over rough terrain again. I know time is a great healer but I've had my fair share of falls over the years and thankfully managed to walk a way from them all but this latest has rattled me deeply and I'm lacking any kind of confidence running over even mildly technical terrain. Maybe it's just a symptom of my aging years and a sign to take it easier.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by PeteS; 27-06-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    So I'm still recovering from my latest fall a few weeks ago after running down the Pennine way off Black hill into Crowden. A mere 2k from the campsite, I bit the dust and ended up with a sprained wrist & shoulder, broken finger and various cuts, grazes and bruises. Largely healed now but the mental scars remain and I wonder if I will be able to run as hard over rough terrain again. I know time is a great healer but I've had my fair share of falls over the years and thankfully managed to walk a way from them all but this latest has rattled me deeply and I'm lacking any kind of confidence running over even mildly technical terrain. Maybe it's just a symptom of my aging years and a sign to take it easier.
    Thoughts?
    Sorry to hear about your fall - it sounds like you were going quite fast.

I trip and fall about once a week. When I go back to see what I tripped on it is usually only two to three inches above the surrounding ground, and one of many such protuberances. Avoiding them all would be virtually impossible, so my solution is to slow down, and wear gloves. Slowing down is of course not very useful if wanting to perform well in a race, or even in a competitive feeling club run.

Apart from sharing your sense of being rattled I am afraid I have no helpful answers.

Good luck with your recovery.