Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldest extant race record

Oldest extant race record

Afternoon, new to the forum but have used it on and off for a fair while. Hopefully someone knowledgeable on here can help me.
    I am looking for the oldest surviving race record for a fell race in the UK which is still in existence.

The reason I ask, is that I organise an event up here in Scotland and the record for the race dates back to 1978. I'm pretty sure it's the oldest in Scotland but have a feeling there may be one or two in England/Wales/Northern Ireland that could be older.

For the record, Fred Reeves holds our event's record, from what I can gather from books and personal anecdotes he was a fairly impressive (fell) runner to say the least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm keen to get folks to attempt to break the record next year, to that ends we will be, hopefully, putting up a decent amount of money for anyone that does so.

I would also be interested in any information on Fred (as long as he wouldn't mind), other than what's available in the usual publications, would like to write a wee biog on him in our programme next year.

Thanks for the help,
    Andy

Andy Styan's Langdale record in 1977 still stands, he somehow managed to do it in 1 hour 55 mins.

The record for the Lantern Pike race, the 5 miler from the sheepdog trials, goes back to 1977.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The record for the Lantern Pike race, the 5 miler from the sheepdog trials, goes back to 1977.
    As far as I am aware this is the oldest record in the FRA Calendar and is held by Ricky Wilde who also raced as an international track and cross-country runner which may help explain his speed on Cat. S races. He has also held the record for the Saddleworth race since 1978.

It is of note that both Saddleworth and Langdale (record held by Andy Styan since 1978) have been used several times over the years as English Championship races. This demonstrates the quality of the records as the best English fell runners have participated in the races for well over 30 years since the records were set.
    Last edited by MargC; 09-09-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Banned
    Grasmere is 1978 too for Fred Reeves

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I am intrigued, triguy: what is this mysterious event in Scotland that you organise?

Quote Originally Posted by triguy View Post
    Afternoon, new to the forum but have used it on and off for a fair while. Hopefully someone knowledgeable on here can help me.
    I am looking for the oldest surviving race record for a fell race in the UK which is still in existence.

The reason I ask, is that I organise an event up here in Scotland and the record for the race dates back to 1978. I'm pretty sure it's the oldest in Scotland but have a feeling there may be one or two in England/Wales/Northern Ireland that could be older.

For the record, Fred Reeves holds our event's record, from what I can gather from books and personal anecdotes he was a fairly impressive (fell) runner to say the least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm keen to get folks to attempt to break the record next year, to that ends we will be, hopefully, putting up a decent amount of money for anyone that does so.

I would also be interested in any information on Fred (as long as he wouldn't mind), other than what's available in the usual publications, would like to write a wee biog on him in our programme next year.

Thanks for the help,
    Andy
    The record for Hallam Chase dates back to 1968 apparently: http://www.thehallamchase.org.uk

According to the race site, it's also the oldest continuously run fell race in the world, with records going back to 1862. I've not done the race but I believe it works on he basis of handicap (interval starts according to previous race times) & it's only open to members from South Yorkshire fell & road clubs. Most of this info is my paraphrasing from what I've read about the event. I think Steve Chilton wrote about it in 'It's a Hill, Get Over It!' - he posts on here from time to time & certainly knows more than me on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    The record for Hallam Chase dates back to 1968 apparently: http://www.thehallamchase.org.uk

According to the race site, it's also the oldest continuously run fell race in the world, with records going back to 1862. I've not done the race but I believe it works on he basis of handicap (interval starts according to previous race times) & it's only open to members from South Yorkshire fell & road clubs. Most of this info is my paraphrasing from what I've read about the event. I think Steve Chilton wrote about it in 'It's a Hill, Get Over It!' - he posts on here from time to time & certainly knows more than me on this subject.
    Bill Smith, in SMOTS, wrote in some detail about this event pp 242-244.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-09-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thanks all, interesting to note some of the records, especially Andy Styan's.
    No real intrigue, we organise the Ballater Highland Games hill race (2nd Thursday in August)
    and wanted to highlight the longevity of the record and give a little info on Fred as he appears to have been a
    fairly formidable runner back in the 70's & 80's.

Having done the race myself on numerous occasions and had some very good runners attempting it
    (including my clubmate Robbie Simpson), we have yet to see the record fall. We are going to put up a decent sum
    of money to see if we can tempt some superstars up to Royal Deeside for a wee holiday, you never know, it might
    be worth your while.

cheers,
    Andy

I was thinking about course records today after langdale. I think any one of today's top runners could take Andy styans record, but they are not motivated to do so. Any one of a pool of about ten could do it on a good day at the first time of asking. The issue is, and it's like the old saying, Matt didn't need to outrun Andy styan, he only needed to outrun brennan townshend.

I don't need to outrun the bear, I only need to outrun you.